Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Are there any recent distributions that can be installed into a 1GB hard drive partition? I just need to test something, it does not need to have any fancy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Distributions that can be installed in 1GB?

Hi,

Are there any recent distributions that can be installed into a 1GB hard drive partition? I just need to test something, it does not need to have any fancy bells and whistles, just something that gets me to a desktop or even a shell.

If I'm not wrong,If you do custom install and choosing correct package. you can install Fedora or Ubuntu. Or else Slax: your pocket operating system should fit
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

More options: Antix, Slitaz, TinyCore, Parted Magic, SystemRescueCD, grml

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks Reed for mentioning Tinycore (I forgot) and also there is Damn small linux.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Thanks Reed for mentioning Tinycore (I forgot) and also there is Damn small linux.
    I tend not to mention DSL, since the project has been dead for years. TinyCore is developed by one of the former leads on DSL. It's a testament to how good DSL was that so many people still recommend it, though!

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I tend not to mention DSL, since the project has been dead for years. TinyCore is developed by one of the former leads on DSL. It's a testament to how good DSL was that so many people still recommend it, though!
    DSL dead? Its been few years since I played with few small linux like tiny/micro core etc In early 2009 ,I think i tested out dsl ,slax ,tinycore etc ...Really sad to hear the death of DSL news :C
    -----

Well, distrowatch lists it as "dormant", but there hasn't been a release since 2008 and if anyone's still developing it, they haven't let the cat out of the bag.

Distributions Under 1GB?

Everybody always forgets about Puppy Linux. The 4.2.1 version is newish enough, updateable, Seamonkey web browser also updateable. Uses it's own package management, but in experiments with sfs Deb and Ubuntu parts are used.

Uses minimal system resources, minimal drive space. THE Mini Linux to turn to.

canineloop

Linux Newbie
    What is it that you need to test? Without knowing your specific needs, I'd suggest Puppy or Slax as they're small and yet have lots of software available. Tiny Core last time I looked at it lacked wireless support and a lot of other things, it was only 10 Mbs.
    I don't believe Fedora will fit into that space, why not use a liveCD? That should be the first choice for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by canineloop View Post

Everybody always forgets about Puppy Linux.

Uses minimal system resources, minimal drive space.
    THE Mini Linux to turn to.

canineloop
    Canine,
    AGREED !!! How about 167 MBytes !!!

I am using Puppy 5.25 in 167 MBytes of a USB flash drive.
    as reported by GpartEd .
    Sys is 167 MB of a 2GB USB flash drive, which includes FireFox, Abiword, etc.
    Downloaded super-file sets (like LibreOffice.sfs, Gimp.sfs) sitting on another partition.

glene77is