Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm pretty certain both these questions have answers somewhere really obvious. However, since I'm not too bright: 1. How does one request new packages to be added to the repository? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Requesting new packages for the Yoper repository

I'm pretty certain both these questions have answers somewhere really obvious. However, since I'm not too bright:

1. How does one request new packages to be added to the repository? I don't want to personally create the RPMs (I'm a user, not a developer), but for example, I would like to have N|vu and Gyach "yoperized" and improved for performance on Yoper if possible.

I have seen individual requests and responses by Yoper developers on this forum - is there some formalized way of doing this though?

2. Just to be absolutely clear - how exactly do I install debian packages on my system? I've never used Debian, and so I'm not sure how it works - is there a tool in Yoper that can install deb packages? Kpackage doesn't seem to open them...

Thanks!

-taneem

Just Joined!

Re: Requesting new packages for the Yoper repository

Quote Originally Posted by theaddict
    1. How does one request new packages to be added to the repository
    There used to be a thread and then a special subforum for that, but now, since the Yoper forums are dead I guess ther is no legal way to do it
    Anyway, you should consider creating your own packages and contributing them to the repository. You don't need to be a programmer for that. Just follow the steps from the Andreas's howto (you'll get it only using Google cached pages cuz the forum pages are down) and you'll see it's a piece of cake.
    Quick howto is also available here: http://www.bluefossil.com/yoper/Unof...PM_Guide-.html

Quote Originally Posted by theaddict
    2. Just to be absolutely clear - how exactly do I install debian packages on my system?
    apt-get install alien
    alien --help

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot!

~I'll look into submitting my own ... if it doesn't take too much time I wouldn't mind giving back to Yoper like this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close