Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've played around with Suse Studio, Reconstructor, etc... but I'm looking for something different. I could be wrong, but it seems like at one time I had used a tool ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Create my own distro, but be able to configure it graphically?

I've played around with Suse Studio, Reconstructor, etc... but I'm looking for something different.

I could be wrong, but it seems like at one time I had used a tool (I think it was an older version of Reconstructor), that would allow you to actually graphically boot into your distro (in a window) and change things.

I can no longer seem to find anything like that. Since one of my biggest reasons for creating one is to change the LOOK of the OS, and not so much the packages, config, etc... This would be really helpful.

I don't care what distro I have to build it off of, so long as it's easy and I can do it graphically.

Do I have the understanding to do a LFS build or something similar? Sure...but I don't even remotely have the time.

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Linux Newbie
    Do I have the understanding to do a LFS build or something similar?
    Yes, you need to learn Gentoo Linux first.

RE: Compiling your own linux distro

So long your distro compilation is compatible with Nautilus or Konqueror file management system, and with Gnome or KDE-3 Desktop you may build your own compilations of any kind.

If I were you, I would start-up with installing some widely used distro (like for example Fedora 13/14, or Ubuntu 10.4/10.10), and I will develop a new kernel, compile it, and install it on the system, and switch from the grub to it upon starting the computer (hitting several times <space> key), and then brush it up, and debug it.
    Blueprint: Compiling your own kernel does not really give you any noticeable benefit or competitive advantage, and so is compiling your own linux distro, and the development of incompatible software is not an idea of 'first beauty'.
    Last edited by user-f11; 06-11-2011 at 04:31 AM. Reason: final draft

Linux Newbie
    Blueprint: Compiling your own kernel does not really give you any noticeable benefit or competitive advantage, and so is compiling your own linux distro, and the development of incompatible software is not an idea of 'first beauty'.
    I beg to differ. Compiling form source is bound to cut a lot of features that you don't need. Compiling your custom minimal kernel is bound to do the same since there are a lot of things that cant be made as modules thus integrated in the kernel, then there're a lot of tweaks.

RE: ... 'to cut a lot of features that you don't need' ..

I sincerely doubt that this is the point of compiling your own kernel.
    IMHO the idea is rather to implement some advanced fast computational methods, like for example FMMs (Fast Multipole Methods) to extract utmost from your hardware platform.
    Otherwise it makes no sense to waste your time, for linux kernels are available everyplace ('to or in any or all places') on the Web.

Just Joined!
    Wow...not even remotely what I was asking.

Basically I just want a way to customize the branding (themes, etc) of a distro. Maybe add soke codecs and apps, and then burn to an installable disc.

I don't even remotely have the time to do a LFS build (I run a business, have a day job, and have a family).

Basically if I could find a way to install a distro, customize it, the burn that install to a new disc that'd be great.

RE: 'Basically if I could find a way to install a distro, customize it, the burn that install to a new disc that'd be great.'

Try with Remastersys:
    Creating Your Own Custom Ubuntu 7.10 Or Linux Mint 4.0 Live-CD With Remastersys | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

First try to see whether it works with OpenSUSE.
    If you try this with Fedora you should replace everywhere in the instructions the 'apt-get' package installer with 'yum'.

For example: $ apt-get install remastersys
    becomes: $ yum install remstersys

Just Joined!
    I've tried remastersys before and it works...but not terribly well. The "distros" I've created end up being a tad bit buggy, and they shouldn't be, since all that's been changed is some artwork and I installed a few extra apps.

I've also been playing around with SuseStudio, and it's really cool, but I'd like to be able to change the default themes, maybe add and change a few fonts, and do a little bit more than it seems to be capable of doing.

I know at one time (and I think it was Reconstructor), I had found a program that would build a virtual disc image, allow you to graphically boot into it in a window, make changes, and then log out and build your disc. Reconstructor is now some kind of website based thing and I can't find anything else like it.

I am very keen on building my distro atop OpenSuse if possible. I was an avid Ubuntu user for years, but this whole Unity thing has changed my mind. I also used to use Fedora, but Gnome 3 is not for me.

(and yes I know I can change window managers...but whatever a distro uses as it's primary DE is what is going to receive the most polish and will work the best on that distro, and I like going with something that has some polish.)

RE: ... 'I also used to use Fedora, but Gnome 3 is not for me.'

The problem with Ubuntu & Fedora is to get to know when to stop upgrading the OS. I have Fedora 11, with Gnome 2.26.3, Nautilus 2.26.4 - it is shiny and works flowlessly, and I have no problems with navigation & customizing.

Your file manager most probably is Krusader. Why don't you try to install this Gnome 2.26.3 over it. Download it from the net.
    Google search: Gnome 2.26.3 OpenSUSE <your platform> .rpm
    and install it with the package installer.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by user-f11 View Post
    I sincerely doubt that this is the point of compiling your own kernel.
    IMHO the idea is rather to implement some advanced fast computational methods, like for example FMMs (Fast Multipole Methods) to extract utmost from your hardware platform.
    Otherwise it makes no sense to waste your time, for linux kernels are available everyplace ('to or in any or all places') on the Web.
    There are a lot of things like time frequency, types of schedulers, less no. of namespaces, size optimization etc... which impacts general computing also. Then we can apply patches like for BFS which's rapidly being adopted in the mobile market.

@kernelklink

Do you want to make a live CD?

A distribution is defined by it's init script, package manager and package repository.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast