Find the answer to your Linux question:
So a partition on my hard drive recently became corrupt, and I've been having a bit of trouble dealing with it. When plugged into a computer, the computer cannot boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hard drive issue

So a partition on my hard drive recently became corrupt, and I've been having a bit of trouble dealing with it. When plugged into a computer, the computer cannot boot windows. As soon as the boot loader finishes, I get a blue screen. I'm not sure what caused this, but no matter the case, if the HDD is plugged into a comp, windows cannot boot. Windows is also unable to mount it, as well. Either I get a BSOD or I the partition is listed as unallocated space. However, using Jolicloud/Joli OS (which I believe is based on Ubuntu, but I'm not quite sure) I am able to access the files. As soon as I can get another hard drive to dump data onto, I can simply reformat the hard drive. However, I would like to test the drive to see if it is failing or not. The drive is still under warranty, so I can RMA, if necessary. I was hoping someone could help me with the terminal commands necessary to test the drive. I read somewhere online about using the SMART utility, but I couldn't get it too work. I was also hoping to try and run a utility which is equivalent to the checkdisk (chkdsk) on windows. This might fix the problem altogether, I'm not sure. The hard drive is 1 TB, with a ~200 GB partition and an ~800 GB partition. But if someone could help, I would be very grateful.

Hello and Welcome!

Here is some info on using SMART.
    TestDisk might be a good way to go as well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.