Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I currently have Ubuntu 11.4 running on my old P3 computer and it keeps freezing. I've tried Macpup 525 and love it. I'd like to install it wiping Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu to Macpup

Hi. I currently have Ubuntu 11.4 running on my old P3 computer and it keeps freezing. I've tried Macpup 525 and love it. I'd like to install it wiping Ubuntu completely. I've gone to the Youtube Sneekylinux demo showing how to set your partitians & install it but it doesn't show you what to do if you already have a Linux distro on it. I've tried a few things but its locked and I can't do a thing with it. I'm a bit new to Linux (just had Winderz to the back teeth) and the geeking part has me a bit all-at-sea at the moment. Heeeelp...pleeeease.

Linux Guru
    I've gone to the Youtube Sneekylinux demo showing how to set your partitians & install it but it doesn't show you what to do if you already have a Linux distro on it. I've tried a few things but its locked and I can't do a thing with it.
    What do you mean by locked up? Is it locking up while running MacPup as a live cd session?

If not. You can used Gparted to delete Ubuntu Partitions on your hardrive till all Hardrive is empty (unallocated).

Then follow sneeky linuxs tutorial to partition the unallocated space into what is needed for macpup. If your computer is freezing in Ubuntu and locking up in MacPup also. Maybe a Memory/Ram stick or hardrive or some other hardware is failing on your older P3 computer. You can run a memtest from a grub menu to check to see if ram is at fault for lockups and freezing.

Was it this video of asneeky linux. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkTwIf97dAQ
    Last edited by rokytnji; 07-08-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Linux Newbie
    You might like the lxde version of Ubuntu.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Cool

I found out why my screen was freezing in Ubuntu. NVidia drivers updated beyond my old cards capabilities. That's fixed now. Macpup's locked hard drive was because it was somehow mounting to the old partition even while it was booting from the cd. I had for force fdisk and wipe the lot before I could format and partition the drive with Gparted. After working into the wee small hours, its finally done. Thanks for feedback. Cheers Julie