Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been plagued with this for some time now and I think I've finally narrowed it down well enough to ask for help. I have a laptop that had Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

PCLOS Windows 7 Dual Boot- Windows Freezes every time

I've been plagued with this for some time now and I think I've finally narrowed it down well enough to ask for help.

I have a laptop that had Windows 7 Home Premium installed, and I added PCLinuxOS and ever since I did I've experienced problems with Windows freezing, over and over, every time.

I finally looked a little closer and I saw some HDD driver related issues, so I decided to try running PCLOS and then run chkdsk each time I want to use Windows.

That seems to work EVERY time. In addition, my 32GB flash drive is now unreadable in Windows and works just fin in PCLOS. I verified that it is still FAT and the only thing I can think of is that I've somehow configured PCLOS to automatically 'fix' errors detected in Windows partitions, but I have no idea how to figure out what that is, and of course I have no idea how to fix it. I'm sure its not a PCLOS-specific issue.

Linux Newbie
    Also, I do not need to mount a Windows partition in Linux in order for Windows to freeze.

Linux Newbie
    I guess no one else knows the answer either?

I think I have discovered that this is definitely NOT a Linux issue. PCLinuxOS doesn't freeze, and different distributions don't either. ExpressGate doesn't freeze. Its only Windows that freezes.
    It even freezes after entering Windows from ExpressGate, which doesn't reside on the HDD so it isn't an HDD issue.

I think its actually two issues I'm dealing with. There's something wonky with the way Windows verifies the HDD after booting into another OS, as well as after some event that is related to autohiding taskbar, requiring a password after the display turns off with both power options and with closing the lid.

If the moderators feel it is appropriate, I'm fine with closing this thread. If anyone else finds this thread and has similar issues, I hope that what I've provided is of help to you. Although I don't have a resolution yet, I'm comfortable with pursuing this as a Windows-only issue and not related to Linux at all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    One question. How did you partition your HDD? I dual-boot Windows 7 Home Premium, with various distro's of Linux. To begin with I used Windows &'s Disk manage to chop off a segment for Linux. A couple of times I have installed Ubuntu which required that I remove my Linux partition and allow Ubuntu to partition the HDD. Windows Objects to partitioning with other apps.
    Cheers, Ray

Linux Newbie
    Sorry, I must not get emails when people reply anymore... Anyway the issue seems to be hardware/driver related because the symptoms persisted even after restoring to factory (no more dual boot) and yes, that's exactly how I partitioned my HDD. I can't believe you answered me that long ago and I never notice. Bad Wolfton.