Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed DSL to my USB stick following the pendrivelinux guide, but when I boot it says: Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem. + something about going into a very limited shell. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DSL USB stick problem

I installed DSL to my USB stick following the pendrivelinux guide, but when I boot it says: Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem. + something about going into a very limited shell. Also, I try pressing Enter (to proceed), but my keyboard doesn't work. (when I try to write something in the writable screen I get it doesn't write.) Do I need a driver for my keyboard (Logitech Internet 350) or is it a incompatibility with FAT32 or my hard disk's NTFS?

Quote Originally Posted by Borna12345 View Post
    I installed DSL to my USB stick following the pendrivelinux guide, but when I boot it says: Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem. + something about going into a very limited shell. Also, I try pressing Enter (to proceed), but my keyboard doesn't work. (when I try to write something in the writable screen I get it doesn't write.) Do I need a driver for my keyboard (Logitech Internet 350) or is it a incompatibility with FAT32 or my hard disk's NTFS?
    Did you make the pendrive from this page

Install Damn Small Linux to a Flash Drive in Windows | USB Pen Drive Linux

Knoppix usb boot cheat codes you can try

Knoppix Cheatcodes | USB Pen Drive Linux

I can't comment on your keyboard issue other than trying a external keyboard (if this is a laptop. You have not mentioned computer make and model and ram specs plus other specs like processor). Driver for keyboard is built into the kernel and DSL uses older 2.4 kernel. Hence the question about computer model and specs.

Just a alternative maybe for DSL for you to try maybe
    USB SLAX installation using Windows | USB Pen Drive Linux

Since above link says instructions are obsolete
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-...-from-windows/
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    That is the page I got it from.
    Specs:
    AMD Sempron 140 2,7 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    ASRock N68C-S motherboard
    If it matters:
    Nvidia GeForce7025/NVIDIA nForce 630a
    I'll try that SLAX too.
    The PC is a tower.

Hmmm, Your gear is way toooooooooooooooo new for the 2.4 kernel in dsl. You might be better served making the Slax usb or something like I did
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Hmmm, Your gear is way toooooooooooooooo new for the 2.4 kernel in dsl. You might be better served making the Slax usb or something like I did
    I want something that can boot on any computer I see on the street, including my own. DSL fits, but I will be sure to try slax.
    EDIT:The Sempron seems powerful, but it has only one core. I'm thinking of upgrading the machine with an Athlon and 2 more GBs of DDR3.

DSL was made mainly for older computers needing a 2.4 kernel. If wanting a DSL with a 2.6 kernel. It is not supported by the way

Damn Small Linux Not is Not Damn Small Linux!

Tiny Core Linux in the current supported version of DSL in my opinion anyhows

Install Tiny Core Linux on a USB Drive
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I'm not too big about support, I generally find it here. How to install Tiny Core to USB from Windows XP? That link is from Linux.

I want something that can boot on any computer I see on the street, including my own.
    My AntiX persistent USB I made fills that requirement. I have booted it from everything from a IBM A22M P3 Laptop to a Acer 5534 dual core Laptop.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I decided on DSL-N. If it doesn't work, I'll try Slax, it seems nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Borna12345 View Post
    I'm not too big about support, I generally find it here. How to install Tiny Core to USB from Windows XP? That link is from Linux.
    Try Linux Live USB Creator (LiLi) from Windows | USB Pen Drive Linux

Use the download button or iso button I guess. I don't install Linux to pendrive with Windows. So I have no experience using it.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast