Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i am trying to install easy peasy on an old dell inspiron 2500. i downloaded the iso image file and, using unetbootin, transferred the material onto a usb pen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Easy peasy on an old Dell inspiron

hi,
    i am trying to install easy peasy on an old dell inspiron 2500.
    i downloaded the iso image file and, using unetbootin, transferred the material onto a usb pen drive... only to find that despite the fact that the inspiron has two usb ports, its bios only gives two options for booting: hard drive and cd rom.

now the problem is,
    i cannot use the pen drive (see above)
    i cannot create a live cd because the iso file is larger than 800 mb, while the cd will only take up to 700 mb (i tried it, and the unetbootin refused),
    and i cannot use a DVD, because the cd drive on the inspiron is not a DVD reader.
    Is there any way of setting the bios to allow booting from one of the usb ports? How can i install my Easy peasy?

thanks!

As far as booting from USB, that depends on the age of the machine. Some older models don't allow for that.
    But you can still use Unetbootin to install Easy Peasy, using the .iso file that you already downloaded.

Check here for a few details: UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

*EDIT*

For the 'Type' dropdown box, make sure to select Hard Disk instead of USB.
    Last edited by jayd512; 09-24-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

I see the thread hasn't been marked [Solved]. Jayd512 gave a good method, but if you need another way of doing it, coming back to your original question:

Quote Originally Posted by regsim View Post
    hi, ... Is there any way of setting the bios to allow booting from one of the usb ports? How can i install my Easypeasy?
    I haven't tried this but in another post,* there seems to be a way of booting from a USB memory stick, when the BIOS doesn't support it.

I see you don't have a floppy drive either, but on the second link in your PM, note that someone has figured out how to use the technic of the first link (designed for a floppy disk) with an optical disc. I didn't follow that (second) link but if as advertised, you should be 'ready to go' with EasyPeasy.

You have chosen a 'light' distro (modified Ubuntu) that should be a good choice for the older hardware. I have EasyPeasy running on the 4GB SSD of an ASUS 701, and the OS is well-behaved and stable. Accepts Ubuntu repositories without problems. They have made the decision to stay with the Launcher GUI, avoiding Gnome 3. The OS is based on the current stable Lucid Lynx / 10.04.
    *hyperlink removed, to comply with forum posting regulations. I trust there will be nothing to prevent me from sending both links to regsim, in a PM. If anyone else following this thread needs the links, just PM me. Sorry for the trouble.
    Last edited by RCam; 09-28-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Discovered regsim's question was fully answered in second link.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    As far as booting from USB, that depends on the age of the machine. Some older models don't allow for that.
    But you can still use Unetbootin to install Easy Peasy, using the .iso file that you already downloaded.

Check here for a few details: UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

*EDIT*

For the 'Type' dropdown box, make sure to select Hard Disk instead of USB.
    Hello Jay,
    Thank you for your answer. Only now did I realize that the reply I wrote to you two days ago did not go through. I do apologize. Here it is again:

Let me just add a few details and make sure i understand - the computer i used to download the iso and prepare the usb key runs on ubuntu, while target computer, the inspiron, currently runs on windows 2000.

if i understood you correctly, you suggest that i boot the inspiron from its hard disk. would i then have to install unetbootin on my windows 2000 system, and go through the process from there?

btw, another option i thought might help, is to use a cd with a capacity of 900 mb.

and RCam also gave me a valuable suggestion. I will see what I can do tomorrow. good night for now (or good morning, as the case may be)
    Simona

Quote Originally Posted by regsim View Post
    if i understood you correctly, you suggest that i boot the inspiron from its hard disk. would i then have to install unetbootin on my windows 2000 system, and go through the process from there?
    Correct.

btw, another option i thought might help, is to use a cd with a capacity of 900 mb.
    That would work, too.
    and RCam also gave me a valuable suggestion.
    Any method that works for you is a good method in my book
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Dear Jay and RCam,
    Thought I would let you know what is going on. I decided to try the 900MB CD option first, as it seemed the simplest. Called a few shops. Turns out these disks are not easy to find here in Rome, but I finally managed to order them. They should arrive in a few days. I will keep you posted, of course. Thanks again!
    Simona