Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
No worries! I just didn't wanna give the wrong advice! Building your own... LFS. Seriously. Learning the inner workings before you do so, really you could do that with Mint ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

No worries!
    I just didn't wanna give the wrong advice!

Building your own... LFS. Seriously.
    Learning the inner workings before you do so, really you could do that with Mint or Ubuntu.
    All distros will let you work 'under the hood'... It's just that some will hold your hand more than others. Like Mint or Ubuntu.

Slackware or Debian might be your best bet for getting your feet wet, though.
    Both offer the option of GUI tools for certain tasks, but the real emphasis of the system lies in editing of config files. Meaning your really getting in there and getting your hands dirty.
    Especially if you opt for a minimalist window manager like IceWM, openbox or twm.
    It's great fun, though, once you get into it
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    well i only used the word minimal because last resort ill build up on that i have a screaming computer and im gonna take advantage of it.
    im considering debian minimal install like you suggested but i still kinda wanna see what crux has in store for me because it doesn't use a package system like apt-get or yum it uses the Keep it simple methed. of course if i go crux youll be seeing me all over this forum site lol the handbook looks over whelming.
    In your opinion what would you choose if you were running:

core duo 2.14GHz cpu
    nvidia Gefore 8600gt
    4GB RAM
    and very important since i dont have wired connection a RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

just in your opinion
    oh one more question does Debian use the same file structure as ubuntu with the rc0.d rc.local init.d thing i dont get at all :/
    because i know mint and ubuntu does mint was my focus on os for a while the i upgraded to 11 and compiz failed me

Just Joined!
    Mr. jayd
    thanx for the advice and i decided to begin my project with crux 2.7 because boot up and initial install was lighting fast compared to debian that is. Thank you for your help and sorry for the trouble . youll probably see me asking for help with wireless installation in the next few days lol but thank you again.

Since you settled on CRUX, there's something you'll like to hear. It does, indeed, use a package manager that handles dependency resolution... prt-get.
    You can go from the command line and do prt-get depinst <package_name>, or use yapo, an ncurses based front-end.

The wireless connection is going to be a little tricky at first, but that wireless chip should have kernel support. But remember one very important detail. When installing CRUX, the default kernel config is extremely minimal! You'll need to make sure that driver support for your hardware is included. It can be a little frustrating at first, but once you have CRUX up and running, you're going to have a system that is fast. Really, really fast!
    It's also a great learning experience.

Enjoy!
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    thank you again so much i installed it to a virtual machine and booted it and got it all setup and compiled the kernal and everything like lilo i did my research on /etc/fstab
    but it didnt boot..
    but one question i have though is when i was setting up my network in virtualbox i set it up as if i was on my actual box i quickly realized this wouldnt work and searched for about two hours on setting up networking in virtual machine with crux and have come across nothing any ideas on that

For the network setup, I've always used DHCP on my machines. So I was able to just use the template given in the CRUX handbook.
    See here for the default scripts: CRUX | Main / Handbook2-7
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2