Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Ok so i have been using linux for a while now tried an unimaginable number of distros and none of them are for me but linux within itself is for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can i get some assistance

Ok so i have been using linux for a while now tried an unimaginable number of distros and none of them are for me but linux within itself is for me. I have looked into LFS (linux From Scratch) multiple times and it doesnt work for my its copy/pasting mindlessly. i have looked at the linux pocket guide and its quiet a bit out-of-date. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas where i could find a tutorial/ walk through or how to on how to just put together a very basic minimal linux operating system from the source. i have searched the web four hours trying to find this. ive also looked into minix 3 and crux and gentoo. and i dont want to build off their distrobutions.

Could anyone give suggestions on where to start or maybe a push in the right direction on how to go about building a fully custom system from scratch. I thought maybe if i just complied a kernal and booted to it i could build from there but i also need custom tools such as wireless tools and wget. any ideas... thank you

Hello and Welcome!

To name a few...

CRUX
    Gentoo
    Slackware
    Arch
    Debian (minimal install is very popular)
    I love CRUX! I just don't really have the hardware to run it properly right now (overheats and shuts down, so compile times are out!).
    Slackware is great, though. Running 13.37 now, with a lightweight IceWM.
    Dapper Dan likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    ive tried crux i like it and gentoo is nice slackware arch i built a system on it very nice and debians nice.... but that s still not what im looking for i want to build my own linux system from source not build up from a distrobution itself
    something to better learn the file system and the way everything works around linux

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    To be honest, if those aren't doin' it for you...
    Linux From Scratch is the only other option.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    ive gone through by the letter on that book and always got config issues when i got to binutils pass 2 like this was recent like 2 days recent...but thanks
    maybe i looking at this from a wrong approach im still kinda new to linux but i have and idea
    i may be under the wrong impression but if i were to make a completely minimal basic basic linux system it basically boots up to shell
    would all i need is to compile a kernal compress it create a root filesystem and boot it up with lilo (in which i have no experience in) or grub (in which i have very little experince in) in theory if my understanding of the linux kernal is right it would be possible to doit that way and configure everything from scratch by hand
    right..?

From the 'scratch' point, you need way more than just the kernel.
    The kernel handles all input/output from user and system. A kernel, no matter what OS you're looking at, is a base tool.
    It looks for devices to handle, drivers to handle the devices.....
    You'll need libraries, compilers, etc.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Minimal would be Gentoo, Arch or CRUX.
    Aside from LFS, those are the seriously minimal installs that I am aware of.

Most minimal? Kinda contradictory...
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    ok my idea was all kinds of wrong thank you for settling that before i went on a pointless venture..
    but ok yea i know how to build all the programs and everything its configuring is where i get confused from scratch's view you have do do like for ex.
    ./configure \
    --prefix=/tools blah \
    --disable-stuff
    blah

i dont know whats up with that.
    but if i could just get these tools and build them id be all for it but i also want to learn to configure the very basic stuff like rc.d with linux its confusing to look at because they use init.d with symlink i think and rc0.d stuff like that and i am looking at basic basic stuff
    like goole basic linux i would post the site but i havent made 15 post yet... :/
    similar to this basic
    i can create and expand it as my knowledge of linux expands a system that grows with me kinda
    i would use basic linux but it doesnt come with wireless tools is there anyway i could open the image and put packages in the istall medium?

Is your goal to actually build your own distro?
    Or are you looking to work with, and build from, a minimal distro?
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    My origianal main purpose is to build my own distro even if i am the only one to use it.
    but if i have to build up from a minimal distro to learn how to do this ill walk that extra mile.
    and im sorry if i seem to be walking in circles here but thanks for your help for real

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast