Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Code: curl www.whatismyip.org...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Code:
    curl www.whatismyip.org
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    awesome! lol i didnt read that url right the first time so i tried whatismyip.com first and it said something about being banned from the site lol

Just Joined!
    wait...i typed the ip into my browser on my windows machine and it went to my router login page....i assume this means that the router is masking the ip of the computers behind it....what now?

The Windows machine is on the same LAN? You can use it to find global ip from whatismyip.org through web browser. To find the ip handed to your CRUX machine from router:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    All network configuration is done with /etc/rc.d/net. The simpler the configuration, the better. You can use with dhcp or static IP which is what I use. Here's mine as a reference...
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # /etc/rc.d/net: start/stop network
    #

case $1 in
    start)
            # /sbin/dhcpcd eth0
            # wait 5 &&
            /sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
            /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.102 netmask 255.255.255.0
            /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.0
            /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
            ;;
    stop)
            /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
            /sbin/ifconfig lo down
            ;;
    restart)
            $0 stop
            $0 start
            ;;
    *)
            echo "usage: $0 [start|stop|restart]"
            ;;
    esac

# End of file

Just Joined!
    ok, this is where my newbness is really going to show. yes the windows machine is on the same router....but, we have dsl coming into one router that serves the house. from the port in my room, i have an additional router, on which are my machines. the ip that "curl whatismyip.org" gives is for the main router. i already know the local ip of the crux machine that the second router gave it using ifconfig. im a tad confused by that code...

thanks so much for helping me, i know you get sick of people who don't know much lol

Quote Originally Posted by einstein910 View Post
    thanks so much for helping me, i know you get sick of people who don't know much lol
    Not at all. I enjoy helping as do most others who are here. Just to make sure, you have a router hooked up to a router? Or is the device nearest to your computer a "switch?"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    you have a router hooked up to a router?
    this is correct.

einstein910, I've just spent many hours trying to install MineOS CRUX on an Dell PowerEdge sever and I am totally frustrated. The install went okay but then got the classic "Not Syncing" error which tells me either support for reiserFS (the chosen file system of the distro) isn't built into the kernel or there is no kernel support for my SCSI drives. The Wiki says to recompile the kernel to enable or disable support accordingly. No problem for me as I've compiled a ton of kernels in CRUX. After starting the MineOS live CD and chrooting into my install with setup-chroot, I navigate to /usr/src and there is no kernel source there. How can you compile support into the kernel when you don't have one to start with? I tried installing several times and there never is a kernel installed on the system to re-compile. If it is there, I don't know where it is and "locate" turns up nothing. I'm very familiar with CRUX and have installed my share of MineCraft servers on other distros so you'd think I'd be able to do this. I went down in flames...

Just Joined!
    wow...well maybe you should use a crappy computer. i have a m3a series asus desktop board that doesnt support the phenom II x4 inside, 2gb ddr2, a 80gb sata laptop drive with a failing controller, 430 watt psu with a screaming capacitor. mine works fine lol. it probably is the scsi drives in your case. make sure you are creating a swap partition or it will give errors. mine still worked without it though, it just wasnt happy....
    Or, you could try running it in a VM.

I guess the best way to find out the IP of the router closest to the IP is to have a machine directly connected to it rather than through the second router. Then, you could access the router and find the global IP or do whatismyip from there.

You're right, it was something needed for the SCSI drives. I had to download vanilla 3.04 and using the MineOS .config plus a few things, I still got the same error. I finally wound up building everything in SCSI into the kernel and it worked. Not sure what it was looking for but was loosing patience. I got the server going and can log into it via the MineOS Admin panel through a web browser but now I have a new problem. The Interface comes up but is missing the huge chunk of text that allows you to download the necessary files. Nothing I click on works and I've accessed it from three different computers. Their website has nothing on this and I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast