Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
ok i'll try that. i wish i could recompile a kernel.... lol idk how you would go about troubleshooting that...you could always use the console to manually create maps and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ok i'll try that.

i wish i could recompile a kernel.... lol idk how you would go about troubleshooting that...you could always use the console to manually create maps and start and stop the server. maybe if you install mineos on another computer and then copy all the webadmin page files from it into the one you're using, just to make sure they didn't get corrupted or anything.

I been watching you guys from the sideline.
    I'm not sure where the kernel is found in the directory tree, but this page looks like it might have some info regarding the config files.

Build a kernel - MineOS
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

einstein910, I finally got a working server out of all this but first, kernel compile in CRUX is one of the best things about the distro as it is a pretty straight forward step-by-step process that you can follow from the CRUX handbook:
    Code:
    Go to /usr/src/linux-2.6.35.x, configure and compile a new kernel.
     $ cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.35.x
     $ make menuconfig
     $ make all
     $ make modules_install
     $ cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz
     $ cp System.map /boot
    Edit /etc/lilo.conf to boot the kernel you just compiled and run lilo to make the new system bootable.
    Remove the CRUX CD-ROM from your drive and reboot from harddisk.
    After getting the thing booting with SCSI modules included in the kernel, I got it up and running but had problems with the Admin control panel. Text just refused to show up. I posted this on the MineOS Google help forum and was told it was a browser problem. I tried accessing the Admin panel through Firefox, Chromium and Internet Explorer from three different machines and the result was the same.

I did a nuke and pave and re-installed with the same kernel .config that was working for me and got the Admin panel like it was supposed to be. So we all logged in at different times... my daughter, son and me and kept getting random BSOD! You couldn't do anything to get out of it except remove the user's .dat file from the server but that caused respawn and loss of personal inventory. I won't go into all the details but I've determined the BSOD was caused by either Apache or Hiawatha so I turned these processes off and started the server from inside the home directory:
    Code:
    java -Xms32M -Xmx512M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
    ...and now it is working without the blue screens. I like the idea of a distro for creating a Minecraft server but for experimental purposes, it's much easier to just download the server .jar and run it from a standard distro. CRUX is a good choice for it though as no other distro I've found matches it's frugality on processes and it's blinding speed.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Minecraft server on an old Dell PowerEdge SCSI server with 512 RAM:

Just Joined!
    sorry i have been away for so long. school and other things have been taking up my time. so, recently i did some googling/talking to a friend and was able to successfully set a static ip to this machine and port forward throuth both of my routers to the outside world and with the help of another friend, confirmed that login from outside the house works with a surprisingly small amount of lag . anyway, i had to reload the machine, so i have a vanilla installation except for /etc/rc.d/net which i had to edit to set a static ip. i think in the process i broke something because i am back to trying to add a desktop environment and the ports wont update, i cant curl, cant ping except for my router. idk what i did. any ideas? you guys have been more help than you know, thanks so much!!

btw, what dwm are you using in the above screeny?

That's CRUX logged into the CRUX MineCraft server using ssh. The window manager is OpenBox which comes standard with CRUX. On the Internet deal, maybe try as su:
    Code:
    /sbin/dhcpcd eth0
    to get some sort of Internet connection which will also write nameservers to your /etc/resolv.conf. You can then set-up for static IP after downloading the packages you need for X...
    Code:
    prt-get depinst xorg-server
    If you run into problems with footprints or md5sum mismatches....
    Code:
    prt-get depinst -if -im xorg-server
    But use as a last resort and at your own risk. I've ignored both many times with no problems. Once packages are installed, you can set up /etc/rc.d/net for static IP. Here's mine as a template...
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # /etc/rc.d/net: start/stop network
    #

case $1 in
    start)
            # /sbin/dhcpcd eth0
            # wait 5 &&
            /sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
            /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.4 netmask 255.255.255.0
            /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.1.1
            #/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
            ;;
    stop)
            /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
            /sbin/ifconfig lo down
            ;;
    restart)
            $0 stop
            $0 start
            ;;
    *)
            echo "usage: $0 [start|stop|restart]"
            ;;
    esac

# End of file

Also, as far as getting ports to update, did you lake sure to edit your /etc/prt-get.conf before running ports -u?
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Also, as far as getting ports to update, did you lake sure to edit your /etc/prt-get.conf before running ports -u?
    yes i did.

i used "/sbin/dhcpcd eth0" as a temporary fix to download xorg-server. it errored out several times but finally finished. this is probably due to my poor connection to the outside world. so xorg is installed....how do i get to openBox WM?

you guys are great, i'm learning so much!

From a console, issue the command:
    Code:
    exec openbox
    That should work. I'm not an OpenBox user, though.
    If it works, you can set it as your default by editing your ~/.xinitrc file.
    This page, from the Arch Wiki, has some good info on that.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc

A super-simple file would just be
    Code:
    exec openbox
    Last edited by jayd512; 12-05-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    I had to install the xorg package because xorg-server didn't include startx...also, openbox isn't standard on mineOS crux it appears, as i had to download it as well. now i can't get the x server to start. it says "open /dev/fb0: no such file or directory exists". i found several things online about this but none of them fixed my problem...any ideas? also, i will be reloading this machine soon anyway because one of the packages killed the mineOS management site.

edit: I created a .xinitrc file since one didn't already exist and simply put "exec openbox-session" in it and i now get a black screen with a mouse pointer in the center but i cannot move it.
    Last edited by einstein910; 12-05-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: update

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast