Find the answer to your Linux question:
The last time I looked at Linux was pre 2004. A friend set me up a Linux that booted from a 3 1/2 inch floppy and we did distributed computing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with driver installation of Ralink rt5390 wireless on Oracle

The last time I looked at Linux was pre 2004. A friend set me up a Linux that booted from a 3 1/2 inch floppy and we did distributed computing work units on overclocked motherboards. I was impressed. I'd like to get back into Linux since it has had time to mature.

I tried VM and had no success. So I am finally able to get Oracle Linux to work on a dual boot configuration.
    I can't read ntfs when I'm in Oracle Linux and a thumb drive with ntfs can't be read either. How do I format a thumb drive that will work to transfer back and forth from Linux to Windows 7? So I can tell you the screen info that will allow you to help me. At present I have the driver from Ralink rt5390 2011_0406_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO_GPL .bz2 its compressed and I can transfer it to DVD to import to Linux or get a thumb drive working. I'm on an HP dv7-6157CL and I only have wireless from sprint to work with. I'm using KDE desktop also.
    Thanks a bunch,
    BruceG

I don't use oracle linux so take my post with a grain of salt. You will need ntfs-3g driver to access ntfs partitions in linux.

Fat32 file sytem on usb needs no special tools. You may need to be root or jump through some hoops (like I said, I don't run Oracle) to mount usb to access files in Oracle though.

Good luck.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

continued

I got the flash drive working

and I have this readme file

I have attached because if I paste the text to the screen it gives an error

I notice in the readme that it states to place one file in /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat
    In Oracle Linux there is no wireless file why is that? should I be concerned or do I just mkdir wireless in etc/

I'm using KDE and
    WPA2 Personal/PSK
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Which version of Oracle Linux and which kernel (output of uname -r) are you running? It may not support this device. The latest driver support for Ralink devices in Red Hat derived kernels list the 2400, 2500, and 2800 series (ie, the rt2xxx models), for the 2.6.32 kernel tree.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Version 6.1

[Bruce@serverbruce ~]$ uname -r
    2.6.32-100.34.1.el6uek.x86_64
    [Bruce@serverbruce ~]$
    Last edited by StitchExperiment626; 10-23-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: forgot to type version

So, you got the driver from ralink? What kernels did it say it was compatible with? How do you build/install it?

Just Joined!
    Yes I got the driver Ralink
    linux kernel 2.4 and 2.6 series.
    Tested in Redhat 7.3 or later.

I don't know how to build or install it.
    All I can find is info on Ubuntu.
    I was in the Oracle forums and did a search and nothing came up except a guy that had it working and he was wanting to get rid of some type of pulse in it.
    I tried installing Ubuntu but got a black screen instead of a video output.
    I tried Suse and after I shut down the laptop Suse wouldn't boot again.

Interesting, but I don't find the 5390 on the Ralink web site. Of the 5xxx series I found the 5201 and 5600 chip sets. Everything else is a 2xxx chip set. Are you sure about the chip set id? Is this a usb device? Or is it a PCI device? What is the output of the commands "lspci" and "lsusb"?

Just Joined!
    Here is the web pageHere is the web page ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=501 it's the second one down.

I can't get the boot loader to work with Windows 8 Developers Preview it just wants to work with Windows 7 its version .97 and I don't know how to fix this problem either so I'm going to bow out of Linux for some other time.
    Thank you very much for the help
    Bruce it's the second one down.

I can't get the boot loader to work with Windows 8 Developers Preview it just wants to work with Windows 7 its version .97 and I don't know how to fix this problem either so I'm going to bow out of Linux for some other time.
    Thank you very much for the help
    Bruce