Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, (Warning, might be a stupid question ) I have heard and read that puppy linux always runs its users as root, is that true? And if so is there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Puppy Linux, quick question

Hi,
    (Warning, might be a stupid question )

I have heard and read that puppy linux always runs its users as root, is that true? And if so is there a way to make it not that way? Like maybe have a new user that isn't root after installing the OS?

I haven't done much with puppy other then as a live CD, and it never came to mind that root might not be a good idea at all times.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Hi,
    Thanks

I probably don't need to worry about running as root, but I do

I am having a hard time figuring out how to install stuff in the terminal I am used to using sudo and su -c but puppy now doesn't use either. Will have to see what I can find online

Forget su or sudo in regular Puppy linux. ***** Linux is the best debian compatible Puppy I know of right now that lets you install debian packages through a terminal or download with dpkg --install command.

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - *****: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager

You are already root so su and sudo is not needed. Puppy programs are .pets converted from .debs and .rpms and source files. So you will look through (to assist your searches)

Puppy Google Search

for any .pet package you are looking for. You can also convert .deb files to .pets once you get used to running puppy linux also. I have done this for pianobar for puppy linux 5.2 .
    Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - terminal applications

There are dependencies .pets also that are required to be installed also before installing my .pet like faad and libao which is covered in earlier posts in that same thread. Puppy Linux is a different animal than a Natty Narwhale or a Lucid lynx. Takes some getting used to like a slackware install.

Forum edited name of Puppy release. Dirty minded Forum.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Hi,
    Thanks

The computer I had it on, the ipaq in another one of my post, just got debian installed. So puppy isnt installed on anythign right now. But I gained some knowledge thanks to all of you that I would need late on

Jreidsma,
    Stay with Puppy Linux.
    It has been a good ride.
    The "squash-file-system" approach is excellent for keeping out any outside-bugs (virus).
    The "layered OS" is interesting, and never needs tweaking.

That said,
    I keep all Puppy Linux OS files ( too few to count) in a single subdir,
    and
    set-up new systems by simply copying this single subdir across, running grub4dos, then tweaking menu.lst (I like a picturesque menu).
    Tweaking etc. is amazingly simple, and you know where the files are (inside pupsave.2fs).

When I started running multiple Puppy type OS on the same HD system,
    then several 'mysteries' became very clear.
    My pre-conceptions of how an OS can run went away.
    Now I wonder why M$ and Ubuntu use 1811 files, scattered all over.
    My Open Office is 136MB in a single file.sfs. (squash file)
    My Gimp is in a single file.sfs. (squash file)
    My inet browser is a single Iron.pet
    My Puppy OS is in 4 files.?fs (sfs) (squash file)

Stay with it. Buena suerte,

Arch was a bit to set up on this Ipaq computer, so puppy might not go on it. But I have many different computers I can put puppy on

Thanks for the info