Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, First a disclaimer: I am not an expert and I dont know much about linux so my issue might be simple (I hope)... I have bought a NetGEAR ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So many issues dont know where to start.

hi all,

First a disclaimer: I am not an expert and I dont know much about linux so my issue might be simple (I hope)...

I have bought a NetGEAR ReadyNAS with linux preinstalled. I would like to do some perl programming on it. Now this is where the challenges start. A can create a simple "hello world" perl script - it works. So now I would like to install a perl-module from cpan and I am in deep water. The module is Mechanize and its the first module I try to install on the NAS.

1) I tried using perl -MCPAN -e 'shell' - It says that CPAN.pm does not exist.

2) Then I tried to find a CPAN package because I hoped I could just install it using apt-get install. I cannot find such a package (I can show my sources.list if that is relevant?). I tried to find it using apt-cache search cpan

3) Then I downloaded the CPAN module decompressed it and tried to build it using perl Makefile.PL. now it says "Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm".

I dont know what kind of distribution this is - or if it is a distribution. I wonder if thats important - or if it can limit me in some way. Making some-perl modules unavailable.

When I search for perl : find / -name "perl*" I get matches for both
    */perl
    and
    */perl5

and that makes me wonder if I have installed two version of perl making the perl installation "bad".

phew... maybe one of you guys can point me in the right direction..

Thanks in advance
    Simon

As it's running on a NAS, you may find that you don't have all the tools included to make this work properly. The version of Linux installed on it is likely to be just enough to provide the NAS services of the box.

The simplest thing you could check is that the networking configuration contains correct gateway route information - for normal computers this means that non-local traffic goes to a device that knows how to route it correctly, but that wouldn't be needed for a NAS box unless you were opening the storage up beyond your firewall.

What you should really consider is that the NAS box itself was designed for a specific purpose, and will be just powerful enough to fulfil that purpose. If you try to do more with it you may encounter problems - and you could break things. It's probably more trouble than it's worth.

If you really want to play with perl in a Linux environment, then you can always set up a virtual machine and install a full Linux distribution upon it, or even buy a very cheap, low-power computer to do this. You could even set the NAS to be exclusively accessed by that Linux machine, then share on the storage services from (what will then become) your server, and set up perl scripts to modify storage behaviour more fully.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/