Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally got a Linux flavor running on an old Windows machine, the only thing this old PC would run from the hard drive was DSL, Mepis would not run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    avc

Running DSL, can't get online, need some help

I finally got a Linux flavor running on an old Windows machine, the only thing this old PC would run from the hard drive was DSL, Mepis would not run due to low memory I guess.

Now that it is running I am having a problem getting online, all I get when I go to Firefox is 'Problem loading page-Bon Echo'.

I have a dynamic ISP here in Century TEL and that is all I can tell you at this point.

Please help me get this machine online.

avc
    Also, I have to set permissions so I can use the CD rom drive, I can mount it but it will not allow me to view the files on the CD.

To be honest, I'd suggest a different version... DSL has been dormant and unmaintained for the last few years.
    Have you tried antiX or Tiny Core?

What are the system specs for this computer?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

avc
    Will try both of them, where can I get the CD's ?

I got this thing online now by replacing the ethernet card and cable, am posting from the machine here, but as you mention, the browser is very old in the core DSL package, can't view videos on You Tube.

I tried to download a new browser, got the files on the machine but have no download manager to open them.

What do I do to get software to run when I download the files?

How can I get permissions set to get the CD working?

Specs on this old machine are ADM K6-2 350.1 MHz

Someone threw this machine on the curb, I picked it up, it had Windows ME on it, I spent the last few days switching hard drives out of old machines into this one, got the new OS on it finally and it is working, am online posting from the computer right now.
    Last edited by avc; 01-25-2012 at 10:38 PM.

The package manager for DSL, MyDSL, was a great little tool. But the repositories are most likely offline, so it would be useless now.
    Also, since DSL used an old kernel (kernel 2.4) to save space, most newer applications probably wouldn't run on it, anyway.
    You could try compiling them from the source code... but then you would have to track down and install any other required packages.

Newer Linux distros will have tools available for that.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Will try both of them, where can I get the CD's ?
    Check out some of the cheap vendors at distrowatch.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

example only:Welcome to Linux Cd.org -

You'll want a i486 iso for that old curb kicker.

Specs on this old machine are AMD K6-2 350.1 MHz
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

As an added thought... have you considered Slackware or Debian?
    Both are capable of running on very old hardware, but might require a little work to get them running properly.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

avc
    You'll want a i486 iso for that old curb kicker.
    LOL, you are right on, it is a miracle that this machine is even running, let alone running and online with all the hard drives I have plugged into it, along with about 20 CD to hard drive attempts at loading to the HD, finally it worked and I'm running DSL from the hard drive and am now online surfing the web with this old buggy.

Thank you both for all the help, I'm sure this thread will help other members with curb kickers that they want to bring back to life and get online with them, LOL

avc
    OK, any ideas on how to get this CD to read, need to set permissions I guess.