Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, How can i configure linux to assign many IP addresses for the same domain name and use this linux box as a DNS server for other clients? also it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

many IP for the same domain name

Hi,
    How can i configure linux to assign many IP addresses for the same domain name and use this linux box as a DNS server for other clients?

also it is allowed to do it for local IPs (inside the network)?

Quote Originally Posted by mos33 View Post
    Hi,
    How can i configure linux to assign many IP addresses for the same domain name and use this linux box as a DNS server for other clients?

also it is allowed to do it for local IPs (inside the network)?
    Not enough information to post a detailed response, but it looks like a homework question, anyway. Not permitted here.

In case it's not, here's a generic answer. Google up some howtos on setting up bind/named. Assuming that last remark is an indication that you want to serve RFC1918 addresses behind a NAT boundary and publicly routable IPs in front of the NAT boundary, a key phrase for Googling that is "split DNS".

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudgen View Post
    Not enough information to post a detailed response, but it looks like a homework question, anyway. Not permitted here.

In case it's not, here's a generic answer. Google up some howtos on setting up bind/named. Assuming that last remark is an indication that you want to serve RFC1918 addresses behind a NAT boundary and publicly routable IPs in front of the NAT boundary, a key phrase for Googling that is "split DNS".
    Thank you for your reply.
    My practical solution i intended to do is implementing load balancing between two SIP servers, so the SIP requests will divided between both servers.

so i need to make my local DNS server which sends the SIP request to the two servers in round robin technique.

anyway, i will continue googling.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by mos33 View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    My practical solution i intended to do is implementing load balancing between two SIP servers, so the SIP requests will divided between both servers.

so i need to make my local DNS server which sends the SIP request to the two servers in round robin technique.

anyway, i will continue googling.

Thanks
    "round robin" is sort of a poor man's load balancing technique, and works pretty well if each "hit" represents a similar server load. What gets you in trouble with it is if some hits represent, say, complex database queries and others cause a lighter load. In which case, by chance one server may get overloaded in spite of serving the same number of hits. Round robin, IIRC, is the default handling of multiple A records by named.