Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to uninstall Fedora, but it won't let me. I've tried using DBAN to shred the HDD, but it will not run. I've tried using the reinstall Vista ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I can't uninstall fedora

I am trying to uninstall Fedora, but it won't let me. I've tried using DBAN to shred the HDD, but it will not run. I've tried using the reinstall Vista disk that came with the Dell, and fedora runs anyway. I've tried installing windows 7, but it can't find the HDD and ask to install the drivers. I've tried installing the drivers from the original disk but fedora will not load an .exe file.

Looking on the web, the answers are usually:
    1. Linux is great, why do you want to uninstall it? answer: I need to load some software and Linux will not run it.

2. I've used Mint for X years and would not use another OS. answer: good for you, but I need to uninstall it.

3. only stupid people don't want to run a linux OS. answer: I agree, but I still need to uninstall it.

4. why don't you use the linux version of the software. answer: because my accountant uses the software I'm trying to install and I can't get him to change or his other clients.

5. Linux is great if you give it a chance. answer: I know, but I've tried working with it for several weeks and I do not find it user friendly and I have ran out of time trying to get it to do what I need it to. I need to run the software tomorrow.

So can you help me? Please be aware, that I do not speak linuxspeak. So if you tell me to change the command line in the grub of the MBR, you will have to tell me how to:
    1. access the command line.
    2. where to find the grub.
    3. What the MBR is and where it is.
    4. how to change the command line (type a phrase, type 1,2, click a box, do what?)

Thanks for your replies.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

To clear a drive of all content, boot into your Linux distro then go to a terminal and issue the following command:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M
    Using the dd command above will write zeros to the entire drive giving you a totally fresh start.

To clear only a specific partition, use this command:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=1M
    ...replacing the sda2 with your device and partition number.

If needed, you can use the fdisk -l command to determine your device name:

Code:
    fdisk -l
    After the command completes (it just takes a few seconds), you should find your drive cleared when you reboot it.
    oz

If you need a more simple tool to uninstall the linux os, I would suggest Hiren's boot cd. Which comes with amazing partitioning tools and allows us to create OR delete OR edit the available partitions.It has a mini windows xp and mini linux which can run from the cd itself.so that you can backup the data at the time of disk partitioning!

Just Joined!
    Oz, your solution worked great. Thank you for you help! I've now wiped the HDD and installed another OS.
    You guys rock!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Enitnatsnoc View Post
    Oz, your solution worked great. Thank you for you help! I've now wiped the HDD and installed another OS.
    You guys rock!
    Glad that worked for you!

I'll mark this thread "solved", but don't hesitate to start new threads should you try Linux again and run into other issues.
    oz