Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmadero
ERROR: Could not allocate requested partition, not enough free space on disks. Desktop PC running Win7 with 1 - 250GB HD > C: 13779GB NTFS Primary (Main Windows 7) E: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot Fedora 16 and Win7 ERROR: Could not allocate...

ERROR: Could not allocate requested partition, not enough free space on disks.

Desktop PC running Win7 with 1 - 250GB HD >

C: 13779GB NTFS Primary (Main Windows 7)

E: 85.41GB NTFS Logical (Totally empty, wanted to install
    Fedora 16 here)
    NOTE - E: had Ubuntu installed on it a year or so ago but
    have since wiped it clean and just used for storage)

H: 9.68 GB NTFS Primary (Win 7 Storage/BU)

When I try to install from Live CD it shows my HD as follows:

sda

sda1 - 9915 NTFS

sda2 - 141093 HTFS

sda3 - 87463 Extended

sda5 - 87463 NTFS

free 2

===============
    Have tried to select both sda3 and sda5 as standard partition, Mount point "/", file system type - ext4, and marked to "fill to max."

Every time I get the error: Could not allocate requested partition, not enough free space on disks.

Cannot seem to find any info to help resolve issue.
    Any info would be much appreciated!

Just Joined!
    I have managed to fix the problem on my own.

In Win7 I erased formatting from E:, making all 85.41GB unallocated.

Upon installing Fedora 16 it shows:

sda

sda1 - 9915 NTFS

sda2 - 141093 HTFS

sda3 - 87463 Extended

free 2

------------------

I selected sda3 as Standard Partition, Mount Point "/", File System Type - etx4, and check "Fill to max".
    I made NO swap file and it installed just fine. Fedora 16 installed used 2.7GB on sda3 leaving me with 80.5GB of free space.

I rebooted, selected Fed16 and 372 updates later it's up and running with NO problems!

Hopefully this will help someone else out in the future.

I have been using Fedora 16 from Live CD for a month or so now and finally decided to do a full install yesterday.
    Am able to boot into Win7 or Fed16 without any issues. Fedora has picked up and installed drivers for my add-on sound card, wifi, and GPU automatically and I am very happy with Fedora 16!

In any system, only 4 primary partitions are allowed including the extended partition and inturn one extended partition can have as much as needed logical partitions.So this should be the reason why you were not able to install linux in your machine.
    It is always recommended to customize the partitions while installing the OS itself, rather than accepting the default partitioning system given by the installer from the cd. In that case you can allocate the swap,root,boot and home partitions on your own wish!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    good advice from pradeeprajkumar. Also, try to put your threads in the right place, there is a section for Fedora, I rarely check the "other Linux" section as I presume they are distros I've never used or rarely used. Let us know if you need further help getting the dual boot up.

MAKE SURE TO BACKUP BEFORE PROCEEDING
    pradeeprajkumar likes this.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"