Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have an old android tablet and an old laptop, both around the 1ghz mark. Can anyone recommend the best linux for each these to give them a bit ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which linux for old android tablet

Hi,

I have an old android tablet and an old laptop, both around the 1ghz mark. Can anyone recommend the best linux for each these to give them a bit of a boost so I can get some use out of them for the kids.

Quite happy to install it on the laptop but any advice on how to do it on the android tablet?

Many thanks for your help,

Just Joined!
    Can't help you with the tablet but if lean and fast suits you, try Slitaz 3.0 or cooking on the laptop. If it won't run try Xubuntu 10.04 LTS. If that doesn't fly, try AntiX.

Just Joined!
    I'm successfully running Debian Squeeze (Gnome 2) on an 8 year old laptop.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    I have had remarkable results with Warry Puppy on as little as an old Pentium 1 and 32mb of memory.

Linux Newbie

Debian: I use Debian Sid with IceWM

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Debian and IceWM (or Fluxbox, if you like right click menu access). With Debian, you can easily configure OUT extra junk, such as eliminating background daemon processes that you really do not need for routine, every day desktop use. IceWM consumes under 100 MB when first starting up.

I use the Firefox Nightly Web browser, and even with a few tabs open, the system barely consumes over 200 MB of memory, so it's pretty light and conservative.

Get familiar with Debian, and you can tune an old system to run well, yet you can grab as few or as many programs as you want to do precisely what you want to do.

Sid is cutting edge; Squeeze is older and more stable. Using Squeeze, then grabbing back ports of frequently updated software, such as Email or Web browsing apps, will keep the system relevant and current, yet very stable. Sid is not as "unstable" as it may appear; apps are solid, but packaging is occasionally volatile, so it helps to understand it well if you choose to go with Sid instead of the stable release. Wheezy, the current Debian Testing version is a reasonable compromise that falls in between the very stable, but sometimes pretty aged software, and the Sid, that changes too frequently for those who do not want to be constantly changing their software.

Quote Originally Posted by th1bill View Post
    I have had remarkable results with Wary Puppy on as little as an old Pentium 1 and 32mb of memory.
    I've run Puppy 4.21 with the Firefox pet and added bits, including the older Open Office 2.x on laptops as old as a Pentium 1 and as new as a 2.8Ghz. P4.

Puppy 5.28, also called Lupu (lucid pup) was just installed on a rescued Compaq Armada Pentium III 600mhz. laptop with amazing
    results. I'm watching DVDs on it's DVD optical drive with the built-in multi-player.

Puppy is the bomb!.

I have an old android tablet
    Debian & Android Together on G1 - Jay Freeman (saurik)

Debian will work on either gear also. There a lots of Debian live respins for the laptop. The android will take some hoop jumping vs the laptop to install on a touch screen tablet. I am not familiar with Android tablets or tablets in general (I don't own one). If a external mouse and keyboard can be hooked up to the tablet or a external docking station with those features. It would make installing go easier IMO.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home