Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have this odd problem installing Yoper. I have burned one CD and 3 CD-RW's, and all of them refuse to boot in my CD player. *My boot order is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Yoper install CD doesn't boot

I have this odd problem installing Yoper. I have burned one CD and 3 CD-RW's, and all of them refuse to boot in my CD player.

*My boot order is as follows:
    - floppy
    - CD
    - hd0

*I have checked the md5sum and this is correct.
    *Earlier, knoppix, windowsXP and Fedora Core 2 did boot.
    *I tried using a (linux-based) boot floppy
    *A few times Yoper booted using the floppy, but died with a 'isolinux: disk error...'
    *I have WinXP and Fedora Core 2 installed.

Does anyone know how I can install Yoper?

Is it possible to install Yoper without the CD, or with another CD (net install?)?
    *I read something (lost it) about installing from another Linux system, however I have no free space. So, is there a way I can resize my winXP partition without losing data?

well, generally CD-RWs don't boot too well. also, are you sure that you didn't just burn a copy of the .iso file to the disc, rather than actually "extracting" the iso filesystem onto the disc?
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    There's the alternate install of extracting the tarballs and installing the bootloader manually.

Or you could defrag windows, boot knoppix, and then use qtparted to resize your XP partition.

Some problems cropped up because of the version of isolinux used in the latest Yoper releases, so that might be why its not booting.

Just Joined!
    Hello,

How do you extract the files from the ISO image.
    I also just wrote the iso image to a CD-R, and could not
    boot from it......Thanks

I think what lakerdonald is refering to as "extracting" the ISO files to the cd is that when you burn a cd you must use 'Burn a bootable image' as your burning option.

This link has info on what software and a HOWTO to do this http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-20850.html

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I thought I gave it a lost shot, and burned it on another CD-R. This worked. Just had bad luck with 1 bad CD-R and 3 bad CD-RW's.

Great to hear you've got it working

Tell us how it goes
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I just did a 'normal' install with my ISO. Install was a bit of a problem because I had to clear my Fedora Partition. However everything now works.

Really like the YoperConf. Apt-get also seems nice, but can't try it though, have to install wireless first.

However, I think I like Gnome better than KDE. KDE seems like a playground, which doesn't give me a work attitude.
    Also, the file browser crashed 2 or 3 times. (think it was Konqueror).

So I think I'll now be trying Debian which also has apt-get. (too bad I want have YoperConf then )

When I have Debian I will make a choice, having tested Suse, Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora, Yoper and Debian (and ofcourse Knoppix)