Find the answer to your Linux question:
EDIT: Sorry, this issue has changed quite a lot, so I've rewitten this post: Info: servers are CentOS 5, they run Plesk, use ProFTP. Hi guys, on each of my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Annoing Connectivity Issue

EDIT: Sorry, this issue has changed quite a lot, so I've rewitten this post:

Info: servers are CentOS 5, they run Plesk, use ProFTP.

Hi guys, on each of my webservers, I'm trying to set up a backup solution. I have a backup directory here: /home/site_backups. I want to be able to access this via FTP, so I created a new user, and that all works fine when I access it with FileZilla. However, when I try and use wget to pull the files, it doesn't work. Here's the command I'm using:

wget --ftp-user=[user] --ftp-password=[pass] [IP]/file.tar.gz (I use 'ftp colon //' on the front of the URL, but I can't post that here apparently until I've made 15 posts.)

It just says 'Connecting to xx.xxx.xx.xxx:21...' and doesn't connect.

This server has several IP addresses, and I've noticed that when I try to do this for any FTP account on the default/primary server IP address, I get the same problem. If I use the same command to get a file from the server which uses one of the other IP addresses, it works fine.

I'm a Linux noob, so I'm not really sure how exactly IP addresses work with Linux, but I guess they're administrated by Plesk, so it might be an issue with that? Totally stumped right now!

Also, I can't seem to ping the primary address of any of the servers, but I can do it for the other IP addresses of the servers, so there's something to do with that I'm missing.
    Last edited by rca86; 04-18-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Spelling

Just Joined!
    You can use ftp from the command line.

ftp user@ftphost

Once you get a good connection, you can play around with the options like get, put, and entering the password.