Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello gurus out there, I recently successfully installes scientific linux and am using it mainly for studying c-programming. I find that it is much slower on the internet than say, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

scientific linux

Hello gurus out there, I recently successfully installes scientific linux and am using it mainly for studying c-programming. I find that it is much slower on the internet than say, kubuntu and the desktop seems to be a copy of the old Fedora 9 or 10. So what is different about this distro and why is it called "scientific"?. It seems to have the same features as most of the other RedHat derivatives. Can anyone enlighten me about the finer features of this OS?

Linux Engineer
    Hello,

SL is mainly a server distro, I believe. Kernels have different parameters set for server distros than desktop distros. If you want more information on SL, I suggest checking their site, or distrowatch.org has some good info about the many different distros. But, SL is developed in part by CIRN, to assist in their research laboratories. So, SL includes some special software that other distros wouldn't.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    SL is server or desktop. It doesn't have the latest software, which in common with RHEL is kind of the point. Stability over change just how enterprises like it. Now by copy of the old Ubuntu and Fedora, I assume you mean uses Gnome 2, which if you had used Gnomes Hell would seem like a good thing!

Try disabling IPV6 to speed up your internet access.

The main features would be the stability, the binary compatibility with RHEL and the fact that it is built and maintained by some of the biggest scientific labs in the world such as CERN and Fermi.

I'm a Debian user myself but if I had to run an RPM based distro then I'm fairly sure it would be Scientific.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Thank you Mizzle and Elija, your posts have cleared up a few items in my cobwebs. I chose SL because of its name as I am a bit of a science buff myself ie. ex science/maths teacher, experimenter and electronics tinkerer. When you mentioned stability, I must admit that SL seems to be pretty stable on my machine. For the internet I use kubuntu by using my removable HD's like floppy disks if I want to swap to another distro. Work fine for me; if one crashes I still have 2 others to continue with. They all share a big 500Gb HD that is permanently installed in my computer for things I want to keep. So next I am going to find out what scientific features SL has to offer. Thanks guys!