Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, I'm having problem with the DNS connection using a server with voyage, a debian distribution. Here's the problem: I need to use a static IP, but doing so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS problem

Hi everybody, I'm having problem with the DNS connection using a server with voyage, a debian distribution.

Here's the problem: I need to use a static IP, but doing so I cannot connect to the internet, only to the internal LAN, because there is something wrong with the DNS connection.
    If I modify /etc/resolv.conf in the line "nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and I put the DNS IP in the xxx, then I got connection to the internet, but the modification isn't permanent, since resolv.conf is re-written at every boot.
    Before modifying I find nameserver 127.0.0.1

Even using wicd-curses and setting the DNS I cannot connect to the internet.

So, how can I connect to the right DNS?

Just Joined!
    try editing /etc/network/interfaces

and for your interface add:-

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8

And then restart your networking:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Just Joined!
    If you are already using Network Manager to set the static IP for your Internet port, you can set one or more DNS addresses for that port in the same dialog where you set the IP and mask etc. Network Manager will transfer that to resolv.conf when it starts.

Then you don't have to edit /etc/network/interfaces

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close