Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rokytnji
I installed TinyCore the smallest and the least user friendly Linux OS. Is there a file explorer? How do I access disk root and install new programs? I need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tiny core. - File explorer - how to install?

I installed TinyCore the smallest and the least user friendly Linux OS.

Is there a file explorer? How do I access disk root and install new programs?

I need to install a driver for SanDisk USB card. How would I do that?

I need to install a driver for the WUSB54GC wireless card. How would I do that?

I will have to burn a CD to do this. What would I need to put on this CD?

Again.
    I have no internet and to make a SanDisk card work, I need a... driver. And I don't have that driver and I don't know what driver I need and even how to install it because there is no normal file explorer on this system.
    Not sure what you mean by needing a driver for for what ever sandisk card you are talking about (no description of sandisk card). The kernel (3.0.21) for Tiny core should have a driver for generic sd flash cards in a usb adapter. I am saying this because your gear is antique (64MB of ram) and has no sd card slot reader.

Like I said in your other thread. I don't run Tiny core. I can tell your threads are going to be many posts long because you say things like

The list of packages tells me nothing because there are no descriptions of what they do.
    which tells me you want us to do the searching/research for you. Just type the name rox file manager, or "xfe" file manager into search bar on google and do some reading.

Plus your posts are short and non descriptive also. We are not mind readers here and you are going to get ignored basically by casual views from good techy members by leaving out details assuming someone reading this thread is looking over your shoulder and knows what you are talking about.

XFE Homepage

I need to install a driver for the WUSB54GC wireless card.
    Probably not because rt73 driver has been in the kernel since kernel

Introduced in Linux 2.6.24.
    and Tiny core kernel is in the 3.0 series which is way newer than 2.6.24. So no need I bet yet for downloading and burning a cd to get your wireless going first.

You are going to have to roll up your sleeves a bit and sweat a little because you are trying to run a modern distro on a antique pc with a distro that comes in a download that is smaller than some Windows KB patch fixes. So. I am going to try to help with this wireless issue first. Just for the exercise. I run my own motorcycle shop so don't expect snap support. I got real world commitments
    to cover.

Open a terminal in Tiny core. type these in and post readouts.

Code:
    echo uname: && uname -a -m -p && echo lspci: && lspci && echo lsusb: && lsusb && echo lsmod: && lsmod && echo ifconfig: && ifconfig && echo ifconfig -a: && ifconfig -a && echo iwconfig: && iwconfig && echo resolv.conf: && cat /etc/resolv.conf && echo route: && route -n
    Code:
    sudo ip addr show
    Code:
    sudo ip link show
    Copy and paste readouts to a text file. Put text files on a cdrw disk. In Windows you may need
    EditPad Lite - Free Text Editor for Windows

to open them and read them off of cd in windows and post them here in code tags. WE need these readouts for me or other forum memebers to turn on your wifi for usb. Any miss types or pebkac ,and commands I posted won't work. Once you are connected to the net. File managers and other applicatioin installs should be a breeze in Tiny Core (which I dooooooo not run) .

Good luck with that old boat anchor of hardware.

Edit: by the way. To make learning Linux easier for you. Start in tiny core and make a new text document. Any commands we teach you you should put in that document. Name it something Like Useful Commands.

Save it for reference later, For the commands I gave. Give it a title inside the text file to describe what they do like

#######Wireless and Wired info commands########

It'll save you some time later on.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 06-08-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    jayd512 likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I cannot manipulate or explore files on this machine to get to kernel.
    I don't know what is expected. I am out of blank CDs.
    Thank you for your time.
    I am about to abandon this idea altogether and upgrade the machine to the one that can run Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by GregRowling2 View Post
    Thank you for your time.
    I am about to abandon this idea altogether and upgrade the machine to the one that can run Windows.
    I feel your pain. I really do. I was not born knowing this stuff but I have a can do mind set when it comes to tackling problems. Whether real life or computers. I had to do a lot of reading and thinking to get a handle on how Linux works in the first place. I never got into Windows like most computer users do. So I had/learned no preconceived bad habits/thinking. I think it is harder for a long time Windows user to use Linux than someone like me who like a 10 year old. Powered up a computer with no expectations or preconceived mind set. So good luck with what ever you decide to do. Hope I did not come off as too gruff, (I can be that way being a biker).

I equate it (running Linux) to like being a English speaker. Then trying to learn a foreign language ,or driving a car your whole life. Then handed a motorcycle and said to, "now drive it".
    Maybe later after you settle down. You will get a eureka moment in your mind and pick up the gauntlet again.
    Once you learn something new. No one can take that from you and you gain a certain sense of pride with the accomplishment.

Happy trails, Rok.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Like roky, I'm not familiar with Tiny Core... but being Linux, it has to include a terminal program!
    You can use a terminal in a similar way that you would use a file browser/file manager.
    Use cd to change directories. Then ls -al to see what you have in there.

Poke around in whatever menu options you have. Look for something called Terminal, xterm, or anything that you can select that opens a command prompt. Then use the commands that roky posted for you.

Linux is a learning curve. But it's rewarding.
    The hardware limitations that you face, and the resulting distro that you installed, will cause the curve to be significantly steeper.
    Last edited by jayd512; 06-09-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: thought about hidden files
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Greg,
    The file explorer is called "FLUFF", and you can probably get at it from a Right-Click on the screen.
    Should be included in the Widget-Buttons with most of the loaded applications showing.
    You are right about it being 'least friendly'.
    It certainly is the 'smallest'. (Although "Damn Small Linux is smaller, and the predecessor of Tiny Core).
    IMHO, It is " TOO small " to be good news to most Linux users.
    I had great problems attempting to setup a TCL system that would inter-act with other Linux / M$ systems in an office.

glene77is

Just Joined!
    This is not a useable system. I am abandoning this idea and getting a more powerful machine and installing windows.

This <<TinyCore>> is not a useable system.
    I am abandoning this idea
    and getting a more powerful machine
    and installing windows.
    Greg,

TinyCore is NOT a good example of the general Linux distributions,
    however . . .

Good Luck !
    Microsoft will be around forever.

Linux is just another (great) offshoot
    from the original CP/M and Unix systems from the 1970's.

Get your M$ Certification in several of the specialities.
    Great prestige in being certified.
    SQL is probably the most useful, (I have this one),
    as it is the basis of all M$ database implementations.

glene77is