Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have recently been trying to run some new distros as live discs but find some dont load as live distros, some wont even load at all, I have some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Has something changed

I have recently been trying to run some new distros as live discs but find some dont load as live distros, some wont even load at all,

I have some older ones from a few years back which seem to load perfectly

so has something changed in the way they load

I am using an old windows XP pro sp3. machine which works ok for most things

I have tried a number of different distros Joli, bohdi, peppermint, etc

I can get them to run if they get to the splash screen only by running INSTALL to disc,,,, then quitting that usually leaves you in the live disc scenario... but some dont get that far and windows just reloads
    some run for a long time as if loading,thena grey square appears top left corner, which then runs text as similar to a terminal but stops with the distro name and a blue# and flashing cursor

i have run an old knoppix and ubuntu 7.4, with no problems

the distros seem to work on some other machines though with difficulty

i tried different machines and programs for burning and used 4x speeds

any ideas

Media used?

Linux Newbie
    Some systems are sensitive to a variety of things, so in quite a few distributions, all of the better ones, there exist what are known as boot "Cheat Codes". These are parameters that you can append to the boot line in the boot loader. Some of the distributions will even provide you with a list of available cheat codes, but in other cases, you may have to go hunting for the information.

As an example, the older APM feature, which was used for monitor power management, as well as the newer ACPI, which performs the same function, sometimes conflict with the booting process, so there are ways to turn them off. These may vary in syntax between systems, such as noapm vs. apm-no or noacpi vs. acpi=no or acpi=off, so it is necessary to find out what your system supports.

There are many other options to do things like selecting the monitor resolution, if it is not detected correctly, specifying a type or address location for a disk or disk controller, and many other things. Again, these may vary, though quite a few of them are consistent between systems, but the bottom line is that, if you use cheat codes, you're going to have to find out what the system you are using will support. A lot of times, pressing Esc, F1 or F2 right away as you are booting will send you to screens that will tell you distribution-specific information.

That may or may not be the solution to this particular problem, but even if it isn't, boot cheat codes are worthwhile at least knowing about; they may come in handy some day.

zenwalker asks what media was used. That may be germane as well. Make sure you're using something that your device (CD or DVD drive) or USB slot, can support. A bad burn onto media can also render a CD or DVD unbootable. Make sure that when you burn media, you perform a checksum verification on the media; otherwise you're taking a chance that you either got a bad download or a bad image burn, and that can happen, especially when images are copied from torrent feeds.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com