Find the answer to your Linux question:
Everything works fine until it gets to "create users", then it just sits there and spins it's wheels forever....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Zorin OS 6 (UB 12.04 remix) hangs during install:

Everything works fine until it gets to "create users", then it just sits there and spins it's wheels forever.

Linux Guru
    I haven't specifically used Zorin but have installed Ubuntu and a number of its derivatives. During the installation, there is usually an option to create a user. Are you saying when you get to this page and enter the info, you are not able to proceed after clicking Forward or Continue?

No. As you are doing the installation you are asked questions about who you are, your keyboard, time zone, etc. All of that works fine. Then the automated part of the installation process starts and down in the info bar at the bottom you see things like "Downloading Files" or "Installing System", etc. Well this install is hanging on "Creating User". IIRC the next step in the process is "Confguring Hardware" (or something similar). So I'm thinking the actual hang is happening when the installer is trying to set up the hardware. But the live CD runs my hardware just fine.

Linux Guru
    But the live CD runs my hardware just fine.
    I've seen posts by others with the same problem. Not sure what the cause is. Post some information on your hardware. Use a terminal and run: lsusb and lspci commands and post here.

I appreciate the help offer, but I'm going to give up on Zorin. In another thread MASONTX said there were some bugs in using some apps. And I'm having issues with the install. So I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble. If I wanted to chase bugs I would have stayed with doze.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    I appreciate the help offer, but I'm going to give up on Zorin. In another thread MASONTX said there were some bugs in using some apps. And I'm having issues with the install. So I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble. If I wanted to chase bugs I would have stayed with doze.
    Im using zorin, never had the issue you were mentioning but i do have a freezing issue sometimes when it starts up!

Just Joined!
    I'm using Zorin now, but I never had that issue while installing anything.

Md5sum? Maybe? No body is saying?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    Everything works fine until it gets to "create users", then it just sits there and spins it's wheels forever.
    The work around for this is simple. If you expand the text box and wait for it to finish coping files before filling in the user field it will finish the install
    Once the coping is complete fill out the user information and hit continue and the install will progress without issue.