Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys i don't know if anyone still uses macpup but i have a really old machine and i am trying to install mac pup os and everytime i try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

mac pup grub bootloader

Hey guys i don't know if anyone still uses macpup but i have a really old machine and i am trying to install mac pup os and everytime i try to use the grub boot loader so it will boot up i say it stops working unexpectdly with no error message?? help plz lol

If frugally installed. Here is my /boot/grub/menu.lst entry for macpup

Code:
    title Puppy Linux 529 frugal in sdb1 dir macpup529frugal
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    kernel /macpup529frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=macpup529frugal
    initrd /macpup529frugal/initrd.gz
    This is a dual drive ide hardrive desktop. If old machine (since you gave no details) has only one hardrive.

change to
    title Puppy Linux 529 frugal in sda1 dir macpup529frugal
    and other line to

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    Edit: Since you did not say which version of macpup you are installing. If not Macpup 529. If Not a frugal install. Disregard my post entirely.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 09-29-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    its 529 and it is a full install

Linux Newbie
    has 2 hardrives

C'mon man. Tower to pilot. Use that radio.

cat  /boot/grub/menu.lst

Is the /boot/grub/menu.lst listed as executable in permissions in rox filer?
    Say yes if it asks you wish to do this "make files executable and searchable".

How did you install grub (exact steps taken, be elaborate and descriptive as possible. I am not a mind reader. )? How does grub stop working? I am not trying to be hard on you, so don't think for a second I am copping a attitude. .

Just letting you know where I and other forum members are sitting we are flying blind with you so far. You may not know the commands or terminal or even what really went wrong. . But describing a problem in detail like steps taken/tried/procedure , gear being used, error messages,makes life/troubleshooting a problem much easier for us. Plus, you end up getting things running faster instead of waiting, waiting, waiting

You're a awesomepilot. This control tower can't see where your engine problem is at.

Lot's of Linux posts on forums get brushed over because the OP never got into detail with his story, his problem. So it is easier to ignore them than do what I am trying to teach you to do.

. Post
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    . Post
    Code:
     blkid

Maybe you oughta try installing grub4dos from the menu instead of just legacy grub. It uses a gui interface by the way.

Happy Trails ,Rok
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    well I get done with the "install" or so it says, but then it says that i have to install the boot loader and i go to install it on /dev/sda1 where i have it installed but when i type /dev/sda1 and click next or whatever the button is to continue it says grub has stopped working unexpectdly no error message no cause or something like that it just says like no error message and then I try the other boot loader and it says installed but then the computer says no nfts i think and it just wont boot?? i tried the cat /boot/grub/menu.lst and it said no such file or directory. I don't think i have a bad iso because i have downloaded like 6 of them. lol too many!
    Last edited by awesomepilot; 09-30-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Linux Newbie
    thanks for the help by the way

Linux Newbie
    Ok i do have the boot loader installed it took me a few times and now there is another problem when i go to boot up now it wont boot up again but it acts like its booting up like there is the black screen and the little blip at the top left corner of the screen and it just stays like that. now i really don't know what to do! the way I installed the boot loader was I installed the grub4 and it said to copy and paste this code in the terminal and when i did i reboot and it just stays like what i said at the top. Mybe its the way i partitioned the hard drive. I put 36 gigs as primary partition and made that bootable i put 4 gigs as an extended partition and I put the 4 gigs as linux swap. 40 gig hardrive. an old dell dimension 4600 I

Ok i do have the boot loader installed it took me a few times and now there is another problem when i go to boot up now it wont boot up again but it acts like its booting up like there is the black screen and the little blip at the top left corner of the screen and it just stays like that.

Hmmm. Makes me wonder if you did a md5sum check first of downloaded Macpup Iso before burning the cd. Maybe you have a corrupted downloaded iso. This sometimes happens. I md5sum check all linux isos downloaded for this one reason. Saves me wondering if corrupted downloaded iso is the problem.

I installed the grub4
    Do you mean ext4 file system format instead of grub4. There is no grub4. . I tried that in macpup. It would not boot for me either. I had to format as ext3 file system instead. I am a beta tester for Macpup so that is how I know this to be true.

Edit. I guess maybe when you say grub4. You mean grub4dos instead. Hard to tell in TX.

Code:
     I put the 4 gigs as linux swap
    That is a lot of /swap. 2 gig would have been plenty. Just mentioning this.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    How do you do an md5sum check ive never done this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast