Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, been looking into running a box with linux on it as a router/firewall solution for work. The problem is, boss already has an antivirus for a gateway that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux as a firewall

Hi guys, been looking into running a box with linux on it as a router/firewall solution for work. The problem is, boss already has an antivirus for a gateway that he's paid for, and, i'd like to be able to incorporate it into the system.

Is thre any solution that could do this?

Depends on what your boss bought.
    Not only from a technical pov (for example: a windows virus scanner would be sub-optimal on a linux box),
    but also about licensing. You would probably need a site or server license.

About the integration:
    Depending on your needs, company guidelines and available resources you can either build the firewall and email scanner by yourself or choose one of the existing specialized fw distributions, that also offer email/web scanning:
    List of router or firewall distributions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Well, it is a linux based antivirus for gateways, i just dont know which distro i could install it in without any conflict...

Commercial products list their hard and software requirements in the manual, often alongside with install documentation.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    Commercial products list their hard and software requirements in the manual, often alongside with install documentation.
    Lets assume that I install untangle or clearos, would they allow me to install a different antivirus, and have it function normally? thats my worry, the antivirus that i have i have installed on a linux machine before...

If that yet unnamed antivirus solution works halfway as one would expect
    (ie: Either as a commandline tool with returncodes or better as a daemon accepting files to scan)
    then probably yes: One can most likely replace or add virii scanner.

However, imho it would need to be done in a reproduceable way and without breaking the regular update mechanism and config/management tools of the underlying, specialized OS.
    And before you ask:
    No idea what needs to be done in detail, as I use neither Clearos nor Untangle.

But here are some hints.
    My own antivirus - Untangle Forums
    ClearOS Enterprise 5.2 | User Guide | Mail Antispam | ClearCenter Support