Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am setting up a project for my company and I need to use a very minimal install of Linux. I am leaning toward Centos and I need to know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quick Centos Question

I am setting up a project for my company and I need to use a very minimal install of Linux. I am leaning toward Centos and I need to know which install of Centos would be best. I basically need to have a system where it will only have google chrome and open office on it. So which should I install minimal desktop or minimal or basic server or web server Centos. All help greatly appreciated thanks.

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

There are a couple ways you could do that, but the easiest would be to go with minimal desktop, then install chrome and open office via yum manually. for chrome, you'll have to set up a google yum repo first.

If you wanted a truly frugal install, with only what you absolutely needed, then I would do a minimal install and yum install what I needed. The problem with this method is that sometimes dependencies are not obvious, when things do not work as expected. call it a good learning experience.

good luck!

Just Joined!
    Thank you that is the help I needed to make up my mind. I installed minimal desktop and it is just what I needed. Thanks

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Codin2012 View Post
    Thank you that is the help I needed to make up my mind. I installed minimal desktop and it is just what I needed.
    Glad you got it sorted, will mark this thread as Solved for you.