Find the answer to your Linux question:
First a little background information. I'm a volunteer for a non profit organisation which distributes Internet connections wirelessly around the local rural district. We've been using mesh box software which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Kernel 2.4.23 upgrade onto SATA DOM (from IDE Flash Disk Module)

First a little background information. I'm a volunteer for a non profit organisation which distributes Internet connections wirelessly around the local rural district.
    We've been using mesh box software which allocates via DHCP and MAC addresses an internet connection.
    The mesh boxes are diskless, apart from the IDE flash disk, some powered stand alone but almost all are in inhospitable places.

What we need to do and fairly soon is to upgrade the kernel so we can use modern hardware.

I have some limited experience with LINUX but am hesitant about compiling our own kernel and also have no idea how to impress it onto a SATADOM module so the new system boots as before.

Linux Newbie
    Hi

Porting a kernel, so old as 2.4, is not that easy. if you've got an IDE flash disk, you may try some distro than can fit in, and compatible with your hardware and cpu architecture. Just updating kernel from 2.4 to 3.5 without changing the tools around will likely fail.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDangeax View Post
    Hi ...... kernel from 2.4 to 3.5 without changing the tools around will likely fail.
    Could you explain 'tools', please?
    Not only that, am I likely to run into difficulties running old code, (& wifi card drivers)?