Find the answer to your Linux question:
Relevant info: Running Knoppix, installed on a fresh hard drive. AMD sound/video cards. So, I recently decided to try to repurpose my 4 year old laptop as a media center/emulator ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Help Playing Audio Through HDMI Port

Relevant info: Running Knoppix, installed on a fresh hard drive. AMD sound/video cards.

So, I recently decided to try to repurpose my 4 year old laptop as a media center/emulator box after finding that it's hard drive was unrecoverable. I've spent about the last week getting it up and running with knoppix.

The main issue that I've run into is that when I plug the computer into my television via HDMI, no sound will play through the TV. TV video works fine, and audio plays through the PC speakers, but nothing through the TV speakers.

I've attempted changing the default sound card in alsa configuration files, but that just stops sound playing at all. Any ideas? Let me know if I need to post anything else, I shall attempt to respond quickly.

Linux Guru
    Unless you are a Linux expert, you are going to have a difficult time with Knoppix installed to a hard drive as that is not its purpose as explained at their site below:

HD Install Warning not to do it - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

Why Knoppix for a media center? I think there are other distributions which would be more suitable to use as a media center as that again is not the purpose of Knoppix.

5 Great Linux Media Center Distributions To Transform Your TV

Just Joined!
    I did not realize it was not intended to be installed. I wound up using it because my fist goal was to use it to recover the old hard drive, which proved undoable. At that point, I decided to repurpose the machine with as a linux computer and figured since I already had it on disc, might as well just use Knoppix as the install. I'll look into the other link you posted.

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close