Find the answer to your Linux question:
Tried to install Elementary OS on hard disk, after some time received message to Restart. After Restart saw distorted coloured lines then Black Screen with the following: *Starting CUPS printing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem installing Elementary OS

Tried to install Elementary OS on hard disk, after some time received message to Restart. After Restart saw distorted coloured lines then Black Screen with the following:

*Starting CUPS printing spooler/server [OK]
    *Starting NTP server ntpd [OK]
    Saned disabled: edit/etc/default/saned [OK]
    *Starting crash report submision daemon [OK]
    Starting preload: preload [OK]
    *Checking battery state [OK]
    *Stopping system V run level compatibility

That is all that happens. Any ideas as to what I should do?

Press Alt+Ctrl+F3. Does it switch to tty3?
    Post your Machine's specs here. How much RAM and which Graphics Card do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    My Computer is a Dell inspiron 580 Intel Core i3 550@3.20 GHz with 6GB RAM and is 64bit. My Graphics Card is an Asus GTS450 1GB DDR3. Since posting my problem I have tried starting the computer a couple of times and on the second try I thought I had a real breakthrough, the screen came up which gave me the option of choosing "advanced option" after clicking on this I was able to choose "repair broken packages" and the Elementary OS booted normally. After starting,however, it wanted me to install Additional Drivers and then after Nvidia Drivers had been downloaded and installed it said I had to Reboot. After the Reboot it just came up with a Black Screen asking for Login and Password and then a command line. So I tried the line "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade". This resulted in a considerable number of packages being downloaded and installed. But after a Reboot I still only have the same Black screen with Login and Password.
    Any ideas what I can try next?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It looks like Nvidia driver is not working properly. Try to rename xorg.conf file.
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11
    mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.bak
    shutdown -r now
    You must have root privileges to execute mv and shutdown commands.

Just Joined!
    Tried this. No change.
    Tried a 2nd time in case I had something wrong."cd /etc/x11" resulted in reply "no such file or directory".
    Also tried "sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia" Reply " unable to locate nvidia". Then tried "sudo rm /etc/x11/org.conf" Reply " no such file or directory".
    Last edited by afrancis; 12-31-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Just Joined!
    Did some poking around on the net and tried the following command lines:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current nvidia-cuurent-updates nvidia-experimental-304 nvidia-experimental-310
    sudo apt-get install linux-source
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates
    Had to run "sudo apt-get autoremove" at some stage. Then "sudo shutdown -r now".
    HEY PRESTO IT WORKED.
    Thanks for the help!

Glad you have sorted out problem and thanx a lot for posting solution here. It will definitely help other members having similar problem.