Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! I have the following problem with my fresh install of elementary (and basically every ubuntu-based distro from 12.04 onwards) When connecting to my home wifi router, network manager ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't connect to wifi on elementary Luna

Hello everyone!

I have the following problem with my fresh install of elementary (and basically every ubuntu-based distro from 12.04 onwards)

When connecting to my home wifi router, network manager asks for password then tries to connect, but I only see the indicator working that it is connecting, but nothing happens, I can only use the internet via cable. The problem occurs on every distro based on ubuntu from 12.04. After a while network manager stops trying and says wireless disconnected then tries again. (no problem however with the same computer on win Xp and ubuntu 10.04)

It is an IBM ThinkPad T43 laptop with broadcom wifi-card.

Thank you for your help in advance!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Go to Welcome - Linux Wireless for help with this. They have links for all the drivers and firmware you need. Broadcom has been notoriously proprietary, but are now producing nicely functional Linux drivers and you can find those and instructions on their installation at linuxwireless.org.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    So does that mean that my wireless card, which has always been supported by linux natively, without installing any kind of proprietary driver went to one that needs a proprietary driver?

I'll try my luck on that website, thank you for your help. Or I'll go back using 10.04

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchierope View Post
    So does that mean that my wireless card, which has always been supported by linux natively, without installing any kind of proprietary driver went to one that needs a proprietary driver?

I'll try my luck on that website, thank you for your help. Or I'll go back using 10.04
    If you go to the System->Adminstration menu, there should be an entry for installing proprietary hardware drivers. You might find the driver there. If not, the linuxwireless.org site should be able to sort you out. In Ubuntu, proprietary drivers and firmware are not installed by default, which is why after upgrading your OS, you are having this problem.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!