Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well I have been around the block many times with different Linux Distributions. The only one that I really think is great is Ultimate. I learned many things from their ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My Own Ubuntu

Well I have been around the block many times with different Linux Distributions. The only one that I really think is great is Ultimate. I learned many things from their forum and now have went and built my own OS based on the Ubuntu 12.10 mini-remix. It has many great utilities and programs. It is designed to bridge the gap between MS, Mac and Linux. Desktop is Gnome based and also contains Cinnamon. Is Gnome 3.6. Works like a charm and is very incredible on a flash drive even though its size is 2.3gb. I used Ubuntu Builder to accomplish this. Now here's the problem. I can not find a way to get things configured so that when OS installs to a hard drive someone won't have to do all the settings! Folders such as Documents, Downloads etc are not created. Time has to be put in the taskbar, the sickly background picture of Gnome 3.6 is there, ugly log in color of dark green. Now if someone can direct me to a page of information to help me with this will be very grateful!!!! I think this could be one awesome OS with a little more work!!!! Am really anxious to give something great back to Linux! I thoroughly enjoy Linux and want to see it move to its rightful place!!! I have worked on this OS for over 2 months, each day at least an hour if not all day! I am a College student going for an AAS in BIT. This is a little out of my league with development but is what I really want to do! I want to make a difference and make people happy with Linux and be able to use it easier. Most of it is geared towards College students with all the programming like Qt and Python installed. Nothing has been written for Ubiquity so all that help will also be mentioned in the credits. Here's your chance to help make a difference with me so everyone can enjoy a great OS!!! If I didn't care would just keep it to myself, but believe me I care very much!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I think that you want the oem install option for ubuntu. It is accessible via F4 when you boot the live media. This is for 12.04 but should work for 12.10 also. There may be a way to install and run the script after installation but I'm afraid I don't know it.
    Last edited by elija; 02-06-2013 at 07:23 PM.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I really thank you and appreciate your response as is at least trying to help! Unfortunately, I believe since I put it together not from any other distribution, but a small ubunutu-remix the OEM part is up to me. This means those settings have to be done by the developer. I consider myself more of an assembler! See am pretty knowledgeable on Linux, but no pro! I know there is some way to bring it up in a GUI to apply all these settings that need to be done, but I can't find it anywhere so far. Am hoping there are some developers out there that will have pity on me and tell me how to do this! If I felt this OS I created was a problem, I would not be here. I really do think something has gone right with it! I have yet to see an OS stand so proud, run all day with zero hassle! I spent a lot of time asking questions from very experienced Linux users on several forums. Unfortunately, this is one point I did not ask! Now I just want to give back a dependable system that might very well be useful to College users. Would be nice for regular users also, but does have so many programming utilities that could prove invaluable! Once again thanks for helping, will also make sure to post if I can get this solved and upload this distribution some time soon!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you have Synaptic installed do a search for oem, you may find something usefull in there. From the command line run
    Code:
    sudo apt-cache search oem | less

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I found that in synaptic and installed. So far still no folders for users are created. The normal ones when you click open home, generally you see Documents, Downloads, Music etc. Mine is blank, folders have to be created. Not appealing for a new user! The most annoying is after a full install, you have to go in and add time to the taskbar(Gnome). I also get an error message for the previous kernel. I have removed everything pertaining to that kernel as the install was terrible and didn't work correctly. The kernel it has now works perfect, but why I get an error message for a kernel that is no longer installed is beyond me!!! I have searched everywhere but have found no information on it! Including this forum! Not sure but have found info pertaining to etc/skel that claims anything put in that folder will appear for the user. I made the folder listed above and going to try that soon. Any information for this will be greatly appreciated! Many hours spent on this OS. Could be a real nice one if could get all these hassles completed!

It could be that /etc/skel is what you are looking for although I'm not sure if the desktop doesn't do that somehow

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Was right /etc/skel does put the folders in! Am getting closer. Went thru the OEM bit but didn't get much out of it. Have started work on a new one which has more programs which might be able to accomplish a nice look for a new user. Right now no solution for date/time screens and themes. Would start user out having to put all that in. Am looking for a way to get those settings in so user can just load up like a normal distribution. I think it involves using python but just not brilliant on all this! Another 2 months would put me at one full year on Linux. Actually should have had a good 4 years before attempting a build, but I think I can do it, these OS's are running nice with less errors than some I have seen! Second version has no kernel errors at all! First only had a message for last kernel that did not install properly. Kernel was updated and system ran nice, but was left with the error message on startup after installation. One click to acknowledge OK and never saw another error message! This version has a few pieces to get then set some permissions and should be real nice! So far have had it on a flash at school running flawless, provided the programs with missing components were not clicked on! At times Linux is very very difficult with acquiring all components for programs to function! Gnome is terrible for this and is a main reason many developers walk away from it! Not me, besides am only an assembler! Is why I am here asking development questions, right??? Not looking to down any OS, just looking to have something nice for all users whether college bound or just wanting to check email and play some games. I owe it as many have helped me get here and all these awesome software developers deserve recognition for the best programs in the world today!!!

Just Joined!
    In case anyone is reading and curious how to do this stuff, have learned more finally! Best way to set up if making OS by Ubuntu Builder is to complete building the image and then install on a usb drive i.e Unebootin. Let it boot up to the desktop. Then make all the changes you need for compiz, desktop background, etc. Next go into your home folder view hidden files copy those files to another flash drive as Superuser then transfer to etc/skel inside Ubuntu-builder and presto your basic settings are there! Worked for me on this second version am developing, but might be some more time before I publish it! I need to have all the settings correct as this coming system is one of the most serious Linux systems out there! I want to insure excitement and not disappointment as some other OS's have done to me in the past! Am looking to decide on a name also and do not want to sound too generic or corny. I think College Linux is good, but would like some ideas! Thanks for all help and if anyone has better ideas love to hear them, just want to get good at this to help, others!!!!