Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm trying to make a bootable Raspbian USB stick just to test the software on a regular non-Pi box. I just wanted to check if there's anything I'm doing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Startup Disk situation - "Installation failed"

Hello. I'm trying to make a bootable Raspbian USB stick just to test the software on a regular non-Pi box. I just wanted to check if there's anything I'm doing wrong.

OS disk image has img extension and I am able to open it with Startup Disk Creator. File was originally a md5-verified iso, mounted as network, then copied and pasted. I am using a Kingston Data Traveler 108, of 8.0 GiB, formatted using Gparted and also with SDC.

Regardless which app I use to format it, I get "Installation error" when trying to do it. Is there any other way to make a bootable USB Stick using Ubuntu or any workaround to problem?

Thanks in advanced.

Trusted Penguin
    You could try UnNetbootin, it is a quite popular tool for creating bootable USB disks from ISO files.

Also, there is good old dd, for bit-by-bit copy, e.g:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=file.iso of=/dev/sdc
    where sdc is your actual USB disk device (don't just arbitrarily assume that it is sdc!)

Linux Newbie
    atreyu: Thanks for the reply. I'm marking thread as solved. I'll use unetbootin. Current USB Disk is sdc1.

BTW, I was told Raspbian will never work as it uses different CPU architecture (ARM).

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by ivotkl View Post
    Current USB Disk is sdc1.
    Just so you are aware, in Linux, the entire disk is designated as sdc and the first partition would be sdc1.