Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I extract data using SAR in just a given time, like for example 03:00:00? Below is my syntax, but nothing comes out... >sar -s 03:00:00 -e 03:00:01 -r ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question SAR time extraction

How can I extract data using SAR in just a given time, like for example 03:00:00? Below is my syntax, but nothing comes out...

>sar -s 03:00:00 -e 03:00:01 -r | awk '{print $5}'

I plan to get the RAM used percentage...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon2 View Post
    How can I extract data using SAR in just a given time, like for example 03:00:00? Below is my syntax, but nothing comes out...

>sar -s 03:00:00 -e 03:00:01 -r | awk '{print $5}'

I plan to get the RAM used percentage...
    From the sar man page:
    Code:
           -s [ hh:mm:ss ]
                  Set the starting time of the data, causing the sar command to extract records time-tagged at, or follow-
                  ing, the time specified. The default starting time is 08:00:00.  Hours must be given in 24-hour  format.
                  This option can be used only when data are read from a file (option -f ).
    Note that you need to read the data from a sar file in /var/log/sa. You aren't doing that. The log files are /var/log/sa/saNN (binary files), not /var/log/sa/sarNN, where NN is the number of the day of the month..
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!