Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whs
I have uploaded a tutorial (as PDF) that describes the installation and handling of Linux Mint Mate (Nadia) to my Skydrive site. It comes in 4 sections: • A write-up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    whs
    Just Joined!

Run Mint Mate in Virtual - Tutorial

I have uploaded a tutorial (as PDF) that describes the installation and handling of Linux Mint Mate (Nadia) to my Skydrive site. It comes in 4 sections:

• A write-up with pictures describing how to install Mint Mate in VMware Player
    • A video describing the basic setup of the Mint Mate OS
    • A video describing how to install the VMware tools in Mint Mate
    • A video describing how to operate Mint Mate in the virtual partition

If that might interest you, go to my Skydrive site. With a PDF enabled browser (e.g. Chrome), double click on the Skydrive box and you can read it directly in the browser. Else, right click on the Skydrive box and download the PDF.
    Rubberman likes this.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Nicely done whs! You might want to do another one for VirtualBox as well.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

whs
    Just Joined!
    Yeah, I used virtual Box for many years. But I always had trouble with the internet connection. And VMware Player is a lot more convenient in my book. Why don't you make a tut for vBox ??, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Yeah, I used virtual Box for many years. But I always had trouble with the internet connection. And VMware Player is a lot more convenient in my book. Why don't you make a tut for vBox ??, LOL.
    I would if I had the time! Time is infinite. Unfortunately, my slice of it is not! Right now on my plate, beside cooking dinner for my wife shortly, is to teach our operations folks how to install and manage a hadoop cluster in the Amazon cloud, deploy same to 5 world-wide data centers so we can monitor 3000+ servers handling the web browsing of 200M users as well as doing the design, review, write (significant parts of), and analysis of the code that handles the collection of that data (up to 5 billion data points per day), and then at the end of the day, teach our analytics pros (people with PhD's in math and statistics) how to use that data... For my next trick, I am tasked with building a distributed web cache for those 200M users. I don't think I am paid enough, but at least I have a job!

whs
    Just Joined!
    You are lucky. You have a job - I don't. Have to live on my meager retirement resources. But at least I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    You are lucky. You have a job - I don't. Have to live on my meager retirement resources. But at least I have time.
    It's kind of like computer systems: you can have 2 of 3, the three being speed, reliability, and security. You can have any 2 of the 3, but not all 3...

whs
    Just Joined!
    Hmm, that's a new theory I have never seen. My systems are fast, reliable and secure - at least up to now.

The 2 of 3 meme has a lot of corollaries.

From the US Army Corps of Engineers: You can have two of three things on a project. 1 - You can get it done on time. 2 - You can get it done within budget. 3 - You can get it done well.
    Regarding boats: All boats are a compromise. For multihulls, Dick Newick’s famous adage is “You can have two of three factors in a multihull - speed, comfort, and economy. You can't have all three".
    The list goes on!

whs
    Just Joined!
    I believe you are right for the army corps. They probably get only 1 out of 3. And that's the same in any public project. I have yet to see a big public project that is on time and within budget.

Latest example: the city of Berlin, Germany was planning a new airport. A very reliable company made a bid for 1 Billion Euro. But they only wanted to spend 750 Million, so they decided to manage it themselves. Opening was scheduled for mid 2011.

Now they are at 4 Billion with a 'maybe' opening in 2014. What a bunch of jerks. And, of course, nobody is responsible for the mess.