Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK so heres the problem, when i overclock my CPU even if its just a little (2.7ghz clocked to 3.0ghz) i get the error "could not mount root filesystem dropping ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Could not mount root filesystem w/ overclock but if set back it works

OK so heres the problem, when i overclock my CPU even if its just a little (2.7ghz clocked to 3.0ghz) i get the error "could not mount root filesystem dropping to a limited shell" with a initrans command line with "ubuntu busybox" on the top of the screen (this is in linux mint boot up). To try to solve the problem i changed my OS to sabayon in the hopes of the very different OS working properly, but unfortunately now i get the error "could not mount root device type -q to skip -t to automatically mount or "shell" for a shell" at startup. The wierd part though is that if i restore it back to the defaults in the bios it boots like nothing ever happened (with mint and sabayon). Also windows will boot fine with or without the overclocking without a problem. If it means anything the interface used for both was/is KDE, the cpu is a AMD Vision A4-3400, the motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-A55M-DS2 AMD A Series Motherboard with two modules of Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 ram for a total 8gb of ddr3 1333. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix my problem i would be happy to hear them.

> "could not mount root filesystem dropping to a limited shell"
    Are you sure , correct rootfs passed in grub.menu option ? It will be something of the form.
    linux /vmlinuz-3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64 root=/dev/sda2
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Well, if the system becomes unstable with overclocking: Dont overclock.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    > "could not mount root filesystem dropping to a limited shell"
    Are you sure , correct rootfs passed in grub.menu option ? It will be something of the form.
    I'm fairly certain it isn't this because if i do the exact same thing without overclocking its fine.

So you've NEVER gotten this error when the CPU isn't overclocked? That's weird..to say the least..

Depending on how you are over clocking this is common. You are probably raising the frequency of the fsb and your hard drives are probably freaking out. It just means to over clock, you will have to do more in depth tweaking of voltages and bus speeds.

Windows boots fine because it is more tolerant to erratic bus speeds, but Linux will complain if it isn't stable. It is basically telling you that your overclock isn't stable yet and you need to work on it.
    Last edited by gruven; 04-29-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry