Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all! I'm using linux for two/three years now. First Ubuntu, later Linux Mint. But, I'm getting sick re-installing everything every 6 months, so I'm looking for an x-rolling distro. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question New distro: Help needed

Hello all!

I'm using linux for two/three years now. First Ubuntu, later Linux Mint.

But, I'm getting sick re-installing everything every 6 months, so I'm looking for an x-rolling distro.

But there is where the pain begins, I really don't know what rolling distro's are out there that can meet my requirements:

- Preferable Debian based, because I wanna use Steam, but is not really necesary
    - Software must be just not cutting the edge (so Debian stable is no option, also Debian testing is too old for me, but then Debian sid... I'm kinda afraid of instability)
    - Preferable rolling with tested snapshots
    - Distro that supports cinnamon (I really like it!), so gentoo (or is it arch) is no option I'm afraid.

I was thinking about going for LMDE, but when I saw LMDE still uses kernel 3.2 (where Mint uses 3.5, and newest is 3., I feel that it's a little bit too old for me.

I tried Sabayon in VM, but that didn't ran very smoothly. And thus (after trying others as well) I was wondering if anyone knew a great distro that is rolling (so no re-install necesary) and that Steam is like 95% sure to run on and that is at least as up to date as Ubuntu 13.04, and as stable.

Anyone has any thoughts?

Linux Guru
    Software must be just not cutting the edge (so Debian stable is no option, also Debian testing is too old for me, but then Debian sid... I'm kinda afraid of instability)

- Preferable rolling with tested snapshots
    Kinda a catch 22 question/thread. Good luck with your search with your requirements. Wants bleeding edge but does not want instabiltiy. Preferably Debian based.

Thats a wonderment.

Happy Trails Rok. PS. Semplice,Aptosid,Siduction

I forgot what sector11 runs. ####Edit: Found it. http://www.vsido.org/

I recommend this but it does not meet your requirements (Debian testing) http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
    But it is a rolling release also as are the above ones I mentioned. I think AntiX would not fit your requirements also (I have a 8.5 install still current and rolling)
    Last edited by rokytnji; 04-30-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavulon View Post
    Hello all!

I tried Sabayon in VM, but that didn't ran very smoothly.
    Anyone has any thoughts?

Sabayon is a good distro, it's based on Gentoo but it's also a memory hog. Running a VM is a memory hog. Running a memory hog in a memory hogging enviroment, it's no surprise that it didn't run smoothly. I'd suggest that if you install Sabayon to your hard dive you'd have much better results. Sabayon is big on eye candy, that's why it's slow.
    Also, Steam works on Gentoo, so you'd think it'll work on Sabayon also. Word of advice about Gentoo systems, it's going to take you several days to get Gentoo installed unless you've done it before. Sabayon makes it easier to get a Gentoo system up and running.

I'd also suggest that you *can* upgrade the kernel on LMDE (or just about any other distro) if you really need to. You can build a complete system from scratch if you want.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post

Kinda a catch 22 question/thread. Good luck with your search with your requirements. Wants bleeding edge but does not want instabiltiy. Preferably Debian based.

Thats a wonderment.

Happy Trails Rok. PS.

I forgot what sector11 runs. ####Edit: Found it.
    I recommend this but it does not meet your requirements (Debian testing)
    But it is a rolling release also as are the above ones I mentioned. I think AntiX would not fit your requirements also (I have a 8.5 install still current and rolling)
    Ok, sorry for my english, what I meant was: The software doesn't need to be cutting edge, but it can't be too old either (I like it to be barely NOT (cuttingEdge))

And the snapshot thing is optional, It just really needs to be some kind of rolling

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Sabayon is a good distro, it's based on Gentoo but it's also a memory hog. Running a VM is a memory hog. Running a memory hog in a memory hogging enviroment, it's no surprise that it didn't run smoothly. I'd suggest that if you install Sabayon to your hard dive you'd have much better results. Sabayon is big on eye candy, that's why it's slow.
    Also, Steam works on Gentoo, so you'd think it'll work on Sabayon also. Word of advice about Gentoo systems, it's going to take you several days to get Gentoo installed unless you've done it before. Sabayon makes it easier to get a Gentoo system up and running.

I'd also suggest that you *can* upgrade the kernel on LMDE (or just about any other distro) if you really need to. You can build a complete system from scratch if you want.
    I dedicated 4GB to Sabayon (I have 16GB), so I don't think memory should be the problem. But the problems occured after installing cinnamon

I don't feel compelled to reinstall all the time, just every 2 years when a new LTS comes out. That may not work for you, but for me it is the best solution. I only install the Long Term Support versions, and only replace them when a new LTS comes out.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    I found Zorin 6.2 to be awesome. So far I've been able to install my older games on it with WINE and everything is running smoothly and quickly. It is Ubuntu based though. I do believe Steam works on it, but I haven't tried to install it on Zorin yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavulon View Post
    Ok, sorry for my english, what I meant was: The software doesn't need to be cutting edge, but it can't be too old either (I like it to be barely NOT (cuttingEdge)\
    And the snapshot thing is optional, It just really needs to be some kind of rolling
    Why not take the plunge and go wtih siduction, as stated in and earlier post? IME, it's been stable enough for me. And it's fun to have some of the software available to use and try that are not installable with stable.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Another vote here for Siduction. It's a very solid distro which caused me no real issues, despite being cutting edge. The only reason I'm not using it now is not paying enough attention when setting up openSUSE to dual boot.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent