Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
What version of the OS and kernel version are you running?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

What version of the OS and kernel version are you running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi Guys,
    Finally my problem got solved. I could get a proper display after a long time. Still I have a doubt, please advice
    I have 2 options for Linux and i for windows while at boot menu,
    1. Oracle Linux Server(2.6...........)
    2. Oracle Linux Server Base (2.6.........)
    3. Other
    If I select the 2nd option then I get the proper display, if i select the 1st then I get an improper display.
    Why did i get 2 options? and what is the difference.
    Attached the screenshot of the boot start up screen
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is allowing you to boot 2 different kernel configurations. Since the second (base 2.6) works, and the other does not, then there must be (possibly) a regression in the update. Stay with the one that works. You can modify your grub settings to set the server-base as the default boot kernel, should you wish.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Trusted Penguin
    glad you could get video working!

did you always have both of those kernels available to you?

show the contents of your bootloader config file:

Code:
    cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
    it may contain additional kernel boot parameters that are affecting video. we can also help you set the default kernel, if it is not already set.

Ok, i have 2 suggestions for you:
    1. Go to the intel website (i have provided the link below) and download the relevant graphics driver on your machine for linux.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

2. If your using a different display output to VGA, can i suggest you use that instead for the meantime at least for Oracle Linux. I run a NVIDIA graphics card and i know for distributions like Red Hat and Clones that on initial setup i have to run VGA until i install the graphics driver either the propietry or the open-source nouveau driver.
    I am not sure if this will make a difference but in the case that your display doesn't work when moving to VGA (if your not already using it).In your BIOS settings under either the "performance" or "configuration" tab you should have a sub-heading for one of your chipsets that is related to the PCI/E lanes. Once in that section your in-built motherboard graphics driver is most likely set to your 1st/2nd pcie lane, under the 1st/2nd pcie lane sub-heading enable the tab "compliance mode".
    What this does is in effect is makes it so that lane will "comply" with any other device also using it, in this case your in-built graphics card.
    Note: Do not worry if something doesn't work, this IS reversible! Just follow the same thing as above but disable "compliance mode" instead; you may need to do a full shut down for the settings to take effect when disabling "compliance mode".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2