Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently loaded Crunchbang Linux on my Acer Aspire One netbook. It is working perfectly and all hardware was detected out of the box. I am noticing one extremely annoying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Packet loss and issues after accessing Google.com on #! Linux

I recently loaded Crunchbang Linux on my Acer Aspire One netbook. It is working perfectly and all hardware was detected out of the box. I am noticing one extremely annoying issue. My wireless is working great and I can access websites through Chrome or IceWeasel until I try to visit Google.com. When I try to load the search page, I get a message saying that the page does not exist. I will actually lose connectivity to Google for minutes afterward as evidenced by pings to Google. After attempting to access Google.com, I go from 0% packet loss to 20%. Eventually, I will be able to access the site again and perform searches. This happens randomly, but regularly.

My DNS configuration is managed by DHCP from my DD-WRT router. I am currently using Google's DNS servers. I have tried hard-coding the DNS and had the same result. I appreciate any help I can get. This is rather irritating.

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, pvols!

i don't have a solution, but i'm curious: you say you've hard-coded the DNS servers with no different results. but have you tried hard-coding different DNS servers, not google's? Like maybe the ones provided by your ISP, etc., or other free ones?

Just Joined!
    Great question. I have tried ISP, Google, and OpenDNS hard coded and through my router DHCP. All other wireless and wired clients work fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Trusted Penguin
    does it happen on your Acer only on wireless, or on wired, too?

how about other Linux boxes (or Windows) using that same LAN/ISP? Can you boot the Acer with a Live Linux CD from some other distro, just to see if there are suble kernel/firmware differences? The fact that just googlel does this is bizarre.

how about secure google (https://www.google.com) - does that do it, too?