Find the answer to your Linux question:
This wasn't supposed to take all day. I have AV Linux Live and I am trying to install it on my hard drive. I allocated 15g for the / partiton ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

AV linux installer can't find either one of my swap partitions

This wasn't supposed to take all day.
    I have AV Linux Live and I am trying to install it on my hard drive. I allocated 15g for the / partiton and 4g for another swap partition (I already had one for my Mint, which the installer couldn't find). Now I try to install, and because the installer can't find either one of the swap partitions I created, it will not install.
    I've wasted a whole day on this and still have accomplished NOTHING.

What am I missing here?

Linux Guru
    I've never heard of 'AV Linux' so I don't know how reliable it is. There is absolutely no reason why you would need or want to create a second swap partition.
    Exactly what happens when you try to install? If you get some type of warning or error message, post it because there is no way anyone can help without specific information.

Did you read the User Manual? Might be something useful there.

AV Linux Download and Install

Just Joined!
    AV Linux is a distro based on Debian, designed and supposedly optimized for the purpose of producing audio and video work. More about that can be found at: bandshed. net / index.html.
    To install it, you rightclick on the desktop, go to "choose an option" and click "install AV Linux".
    "This is a live installer. Do you want to continue?"
    yes
    "This installer will run in English. By default it will install the US English locale and keyboard layout. Do you wish to install with different locale and keyboard settings?"
    no
    "We need to prepare a swap and install partition now. gparted will allow you to create the new partitions. You must create or have 1 install partition and 1 swap partition. If you already have partitions setup then just quit gparted and installation will continue. Click OK to continue."
    OK
    "Please select a drive to partition. If the only option you see is to Quit the installer then no drives were found."
    sda
    (partitions already exist: 15g for / and 4g for swap)
    menu bar entry: "GParted>Quit"
    (...which brings me back to the installer, with a window that says:...)
    Please select a swap partition to use. If the only option you see is to Quit the installer then no swap partitions were found."
    And the only option available is to quit the installer.

I did read the User Manual. Found nothing to explain what the problem was.

Not trying to chase you off, but you should really kick over to geek connection for help on this one. Those are the guys who created the distro. Good group of folks too. Tell fragadelic I said hi. And come on back around here when you need help with something just a slight bit more "general" (not really a good word) in nature.

And here is the install manual.

/ Edit, OK, I see you have it/

It is “based” on debian, like an F18 is "based" on a bird. It's been ultra-crafted from the mainline kernel up to produce professional quality music.

Because of that, while I love frag's work, I wouldn't use it as a primary OS. I'd run it in a VM and use something better known and more flexible as the primary OS. That will give you a lot more options when you need to troubleshoot

-----------------------------

Sorry to the mods and the OP if this is a double or cross post or is also someplace else off subject? I lost the original some how and pulled it back off the clipboard.

Just Joined!
    That was the first place I looked and got no reply from anybody. On further reading, I discovered that they are coming out with 6.0.1 and then leaving it. Frag's has stopped working on remastersys, which, from what I gather, was pretty much the backbone of AV Linux. So Gmaq is pretty much done with it, too. Which, I guess, explains the lack of support form that site. Unless they find someone else to take over, AV Linux, it seems, is on its way out.

My basic system is Mint. Dual booted with Windoze Ate. I won't be giving that up anytime soon. I like my Mint. My idea was to have a 3rd system here specifically for the purpose of producing music. Both of my Ardour's are giving me fits. 2 crashes when you try to load plugin's and 3 crashes when you try to load projects from 2. I figured the solution was to have a distro that was optimized for music production, with all the necessary stuff installed to do what I want to do.

Well, tomorrow is another day. I'll wake up tomorrow morning and try Studio 64. And hopefully accomplish something before lunch.

And thanks for replying. After 12 hours, I was starting to wonder if anybody was out there.

MMM, sorry to hear they're closing shop. I hadn't touched base in a few months.

And sorry I couldn't be more help. Studio will *prolly* (no promises) give you less fits. It's a lot less tailored but, also doesn't use a standard kernel either. And, IIRC, it is another small shop and has a sporadic development cycle.

Suggestion, you seem like you have a clue, so spin your own remix. Go get the ub 12.04 minimal cli install, slap the realtime patches on the ub kernel or get the ub ultra low latency kernel, spin up your own jazz, strip it off the hardware with RMS and viola'!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Does the installer offer the manual partitioning option? In a Debian installer, that will allow you to specify the partitions.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!