Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an Acer Aspire One AOA150 from my grand daughter who has asked me to fix it as battery will not charge. Details are as follows - Acer Aspire ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Updating bios on Acer Aspire one

I have an Acer Aspire One AOA150 from my grand daughter who has asked me to fix it as battery will not charge. Details are as follows -

Acer Aspire One model AOA150 (ZG5)
    OS is Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.13.£
    BIOS version is V0.3301

I have trawled this site and Acer support site to get info on how to do this. The Acer support site only gives a download for Windows XP to update the bios and I don't have a clue how to run .exe files on linus. This is totally alien to me, sorry.

Can anyone help with supplying me the idiots guide to updating bios on her netbook?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by humfree View Post
    I have an Acer Aspire One AOA150 from my grand daughter who has asked me to fix it as battery will not charge. Details are as follows -

Acer Aspire One model AOA150 (ZG5)
    OS is Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.13.£
    BIOS version is V0.3301

I have trawled this site and Acer support site to get info on how to do this. The Acer support site only gives a download for Windows XP to update the bios and I don't have a clue how to run .exe files on linus. This is totally alien to me, sorry.

Can anyone help with supplying me the idiots guide to updating bios on her netbook?
    Download freedos and add the bios executable and other files to the image, then burn to cd/dvd/usb drive. Asus may even have a freedos version you can burn and use to install.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    then burn to cd/dvd/usb drive
    as a bootable image, NOT DATA

Unfortunately this step by step is for windows

How to Create a Bootable DOS USB Drive

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

add the bios executable and other files to the image
    Read this and then refer to rufus in my above link for Windows..

Windows won’t allow you to select the “Create an MS-DOS startup disk” option when formatting a USB drive – it’s grayed out. We will be using Rufus instead. It’s a fast, lightweight application that includes FreeDOS.
    adding files to the FreeDOS live image

Here is hoping you have access to a Windows Box for the rufus usb install method.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close