Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear, I have problem with my pc. Before my HDD stopped to work, I was using that PC for controlling axis cameras (Netavis). I installed new hdd, and when i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel panic problem!?

Dear,

I have problem with my pc. Before my HDD stopped to work, I was using that PC for controlling axis cameras (Netavis).
    I installed new hdd, and when i start to install it I got error :
    Kernel panic: Kernel Panic - Not Syncing - fatal error.
    Later, I disabled some ports in BIOS including LAN card. After that I installed Netavis without any problem, and it boots. But when I enable LAN card, I got again the same problem.

What's problem and what's solution!?

I need LAN card, because I controlling axis cameras over network.

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, patron!

it sounds like an IRQ issue at this point. that's just a guess, though.

please include the make/model of your PC, and any other hardware you are using with it (include PCI cards, if you are using any). this info will help others viewing your post to make more informed recommendations.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    hello and welcome, patron!

it sounds like an IRQ issue at this point. that's just a guess, though.

please include the make/model of your PC, and any other hardware you are using with it (include PCI cards, if you are using any). this info will help others viewing your post to make more informed recommendations.
    Dear,

Specification of PC:
    MB Intel DG41MJ 775s Mini-ITX
    CPU Intel Pentium E5300
    RAM 2X1GB DDR2 800MHz Kingmax
    HDD 500GB SATA WD

I'm not using and other hardware component.

BEfore this, it was 1TB SATA.

I have the same two PCs with the same problem: Kernel Panic.
    I enabled all peripheral device, except LAN card, problem didnt disapear. Its only problem when I enable LAN.

When I get Kernel Panic error, caps Lock and Scrool lock on keyboard is blinking. I tried to change keyboard, problem didnt disapear.

There is a Call trace in attachemnt.

ThxIMAGE_069.jpg

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    have you tried this:

In the BIOS settings, change the Hard drive settings from 'Native' to 'Legacy' with SATA primary and PATA secondary, even if you have no IDE drives.

from here. the article is OSX-based, but the issue causing the problem is hardware/BIOS-based.

Just Joined!
    Dear, I tried that, and problem didnt disapear. Before, with old hdd, PC was working without any preconfiguration of BIOS.

OLD HDD - 1TB SATA

NEW HDD - 500GB SATA

Trusted Penguin
    so odd...are you plugging the new 500GB into the same SATA port that the old 1TB drive was in?

can you try booting a Live Linux distro of some other variety, just to see if it works (removing hardware as a possible cause)?

Just Joined!
    I installed Windows and Linux Suse without any problems and without preconfiguration of BIOS.
    Only problem with Netavis.

I tried on another 2 SATA ports, and the same thing.

I'll try to plug NIC to PCIe, with disable onboard LAN. In 15 days, two PC on different geographic distance had the same problem, HDD is dead. They are working 24/7 about 3 years.

I'll write you back.