Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Antix 13.1 and I put the exact same settings in the Gnome PPP that I use in my PCLinuxOS but after connecting the connection is broken. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Antix 13.1 Gnome PPP problem

I just installed Antix 13.1 and I put the exact same settings in the Gnome PPP that I use in my PCLinuxOS but after connecting the connection is broken. I called my ISP and the girl got lost when she heard I was not using windows.

I re-installed and still had the same problem. I went into the /etc/wvdial.con file and put in my dial up number user name and password and the modem still disconnects at connecting. This is making my hair hurt!!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
    Last edited by cousinlucky; 09-13-2013 at 01:29 AM.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Check out my reply at the AntiX forum Cuz. If it works, post the solution here also.

Edit: Awww Hell. I'll keep it consistent.

https://wiki.debian.org/PPPoE

In order to make PPPoE run on a Debian station you should follow the following steps:

install a Linux kernel which has:
    ppp and pppoe support enabled (module or built-in). Kernels compiled by Debian have them.
    Might be a Kernel problem cousin Lucky as PCLOS uses a different kernel than the one hand rolled by Anti for 32 bit AntiX 13.1 (you might have found a bug) . All I can think of is for you to download Liqourix Kernel Image and headers debs on Pclos and then install them into AntiX via dpkg -i command. I hope this does not fly over your head. I am sick so my brain aint firing on all cylinders yet either.

Index of /debian/pool/main/l/linux-liquorix

or use a debian kernel image and header Edit: going by above quote. The Debian kernel should be a better choice than Liqourix maybe.

Debian -- Package Download Selection -- linux-image-486_3.2+46_i386.deb

Debian -- Package Download Selection -- linux-headers-3.2.0-4-common_3.2.46-1+deb7u1_i386.deb

Since I am not 100% Cousin Lucky. Wait and see if anyone else confirms I pointed to the right .deb files so you install the right ones. You are running 32 bit AntiX 13.1 I take it?

You can put the .debs for image and header on cd or usb and transfer over to your AntiX install. Copy them over into /home/your user name

Then open terminal and as root

Code:
    dpkg -i <name of kernel header goes here>
    Use tab key for auto complete to save on typing mistakes. Hit enter/return key and let it install.

then again

Code:
    dpkg -i <name of kernel image goes here>
    tab key to auto complete again. Hit enter/return key and let it install.

When done.

Code:
    update-grub
    Hit enter/return key and let it update grub with the new kernel you just installed and put it in the grub menu.

Let it finish. Then reboot into new kernel from list and try PPP again. That is the best I can think of tonight bro and I feel pretty bad so give me a hand guys.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 09-13-2013 at 03:54 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I went into /etc/wvdial.con and entered my user name, password, and the dial up number but that messed up the installation. Clearly the Gnome PPP in Antix 13.1 is not the same as the one in Antix 12 which worked fine right away. In Antix 13.1 the modem dials and as soon as it gets to " waiting for prompt " it disconnects. Thanks for the suggestion Roky. I am unable to post this in Antixforums.
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

Where is the usbmodeswitch in Antix 13.1 please?
    Linux user # 414321

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Where is the usbmodeswitch in Antix 13.1 please?
    Debian -- Package Search Results -- usb-modeswitch

Code:
    apt-cache policy usb-modeswitch

Will tell you if it is installed or not and what version is available. You can find it in synaptic package manager also. Always remember to do as root in terminal first

Code:
    apt-get update
    before checking and installing usb-modeswitch to be sure and have the latest version or any version loaded in apt first.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Thanks Roky. the file was in /var/lib/dpkg/status. What I was looking for was not in there. I'm going to give up on Antix 13.1. I ordered 4 distros from osdisc -Crunchbang 11, LKLE 12.04.3, Debian Live 6.0.7 gnome, and Vectorlinux 7.0 soho Hopefully I be able to use one of them.
    Linux user # 414321