Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by jayd512 The file you are trying to burn is irrelevant. If it don't wanna burn, but gives a driver error, then it might be an OS issue. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    The file you are trying to burn is irrelevant. If it don't wanna burn, but gives a driver error, then it might be an OS issue.
    Or it could be a hardware issue, especially if the computer is at the most common point of failure (new - ish) do other discs burn OK?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Have you tried using UNetbootin to make a "Live" USB of the Distro you'd like to check out or install? It's stupid simple to do, just download UNetbootin in Ubuntu(sudo apt-get install unetbootin) then log into it and point it at the iso you'd like to make "Live" on your USB stick.
    One little tip, use a fast USB stick like a SanDisk Cruiser Glide or Patriot Rage XT and it'll run faster Live or install faster if you want to do that.
    iDowngrade likes this.

Just Joined!
    I dont wanna check out, i want to install an OS and it doesnt burn on the CD to install it, i am a Linux newbie so didnt really understand what you said, all i got is that i can get the app aaat ubuntu with that command >.>

EDIT: I somehow figured how to do everything, and the Pear OS is installed in the USB, but now idk how do i run the installation, thanks in advace, i have a good feeling about this.

BTW i have an 8GB SanDisk USB

EDIT2: Now i managed to do it and now i'm finally on the installation screen!!, thank you!
    Last edited by iDowngrade; 09-22-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Or it could be a hardware issue, especially if the computer is at the most common point of failure (new - ish) do other discs burn OK?
    True... that was my second thought.
    Maybe that can be checked out in the near future,by burning a disc from the new native install.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I plan on opening my laptop's core and cleaning it, i see that my fan is packing up dust, i'm still not sure if it has something to do, but i'll give it a shot, it might speed up my computer or lower the heat rate of it too.

Anyways i also found another USB burner called ImgBurn.
    But, now to get to the actual point of the post, i preffered Pear OS since it's a more complete OS, even thought it made my booting more complex, because i put the booting files in the wrong directory, that's my choice, in case someone had the same doubt as me.

Quote Originally Posted by iDowngrade View Post
    Hi, i'm new Linux user and i already have Ubuntu and Windows 8 OS's

I have been in the hunt of OS X-like Linux OS and i have found 3 of them, but im still not decided
    I plan on giving 20 GB to every new OS that i give a **** to install.

Anyways im going straight to the point.

What's better?:

1. Elementary Luna OS
    2. Pear OS X
    3. Pinguy OS

I can maybe install to of these at a time but i would preffer installing one, thank you!
    Better for what?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Better for what?
    Better as an operative system

Better as an operative system
    Wouldn't that be relevant to what you need an operating system to do?

A Cadillac sedan might be better than a Jeep to some, but if you go offroad, I doubt the Cadillac would be of much use.

Better is a relative term.

I think you'll notice that if you make a "Live" USB using UNetbootin that 99.9% of the Distros will have an Install option on the desktop so you can not only check out the Distro to see if it'll find your WiFi and work with your video card but also install it if you like it.
    Most of the time I'll use a Live USB for install since it's much faster then using a CD/DVD for install.
    Also, while Point Linux isn't perfect it's very close IMHO. I had to install a few things that I normally use but that's par for the course for most Distros that I've used since none of em' have stuff I use straight out of the box.
    I think you could do a lot worse then Point Linux OS. I really think you should give it a fair shot.

Just Joined!

Talking

Hi, i'm new Linux user and i already have Ubuntu and Windows 8 OS's

I have been in the hunt of OS X-like Linux OS and i have found 3 of them, but im still not decided
    I plan on giving 20 GB to every new OS that i give a **** to install.

Anyways im going straight to the point.

What's better?:

1. Elementary Luna OS
    2. Pear OS X
    3. Pinguy OS

I can maybe install to of these at a time but i would preffer installing one, thank you!
    Have you taken a look at ZevenOS Neptune 3.2 It's a great stable OS based on Debian and KDE4 I've been using Linux Distros for 4 years now and this was the most stable one I ran across so far, Ubuntu=buggy, Linux Mint=pretty good but also Buggy, Opensuse not to bad but for advanced users. Debian 7 great but for advanced users also. With Neptune 3.2 you can customize every square inch of it and then some. It's fast it uses Zram to speed things up also, which stores programs you just used into the ram so every time you click on them they pop up faster. Also very nice system sound scheme. I just installed this last week and I'm loving it so far. Check it out at ZevenOS.com give it a shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast