Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Oracle Linux version 6.4 on a VM environment. On that VM, I have 3 additional hard drives attached to that OS for logs, archive and data. They are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Oracle Linux (version 6.4): Mapping static volume drives

I installed Oracle Linux version 6.4 on a VM environment. On that VM, I have 3 additional hard drives attached to that OS for logs, archive and data.

They are formatted as ext4 file system. I do fdisk -l to find the mappings and I use the same mappings in the /etc/fstab file.

Now the main problem happens is, when I reboot the machine, drive mappings gets swapped. For example:

/dev/sdb was pointing to /u100 <-- before reboot
    /dev/sdb now points to /u103 <-- after reboot

Same thing happens for /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd.

Though google, I found this command blkid that shows UUID for the above /dev/sd* drives. I replaced the lines (/dev/sd*) in the /etc/fstab with their respective UUID's and it still did not work.

I am trying to find a way that the drives remain mapped to the same location. What am I doing wrong? If any one can help, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Just Joined!
    Let me try explaining this better:

initial setup /dev/sdb points to a share of 20 gigs that has log fines.. On reboot, /dev/sdb points to a share of 200 gigs that has data. If I reboot, it will swap again.. Any way of making it permanent mappings? Thank you

Actually, using the UUID should be safe and uniq enough to identify and later mount a device.
    I never experienced that this wouldnt be the case in either virtual or physical machines.

As it is a virtual machine, I would look into the setup of the hypervisor.
    Did you maybe clone the disks instead of creating them?

Do the sd* devices have different blkids?
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your reply.. I used UUID and did not work..On reboot, drives still got swapped

I found this link :

h t t p://superuser . com/questions/193677/how-can-i-ensure-that-dev-sdd-dev-sde-always-map-to-the-same-drives-each-tim

that explains my issue and I am trying to figure what attribute to use to differentiate each drive..