Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Help with Black Panther OS

I dual booted Black Panther os along win7 but I would like win7 to have first boot priority so if I want to run BPos then I would select it manually...
    I just can't find anything on the grub commands or terminal commands for black panther os.
    I appreciate in help in advance

Most distros use grub2 now so this may show you how it is done in grub2.

How to Change Order of Dual Boot MenuList - Linux Mint Community

Damn

DistroWatch.com: blackPanther OS

Based on Mandriva? Then I am not sure if it uses grub2 so take my post and suggestion with a grain of salt.

Edithen.: yeah, looks like grub2 bootloader is used to boot.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

The problem that I am also having is I don't know the code structure, not sure if sudo, gksudo, or any other commands work due to it's structure... That's why I hoping someone here has used it before or tried it out. It has an appealing GUI, but trying to figure this out has been a problem...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-creator View Post
    The problem that I am also having is I don't know the code structure, not sure if sudo, gksudo, or any other commands work due to it's structure... That's why I hoping someone here has used it before or tried it out. It has an appealing GUI, but trying to figure this out has been a problem...

Then search for grub customizer in Mandriva is all I can think of.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

Linux Guru
    Since you are able to boot the system, look in the /boot/grub directory to see if you are using Grub Legacy or Grub2. If it is Grub Legacy, you will have a menu.lst or grub.conf file, if it is Grub2, you will have a grub.cfg file along with about 100 others. If it is Grub Legacy, you just change the default line in the menu.lst or grub.conf file to whatever the appropriate menu entry line is for windows. Did you create a separate root user during installation? If you did, you should be able to just open a terminal and enter su or su - and be prompted for the root password. Then use a text editor to edit the menu.lst/grub.conf file.

There are a number of sites discussing Black Panther as well as its own site which might give you more detailed information.

sorry guys,

realized that i never thanked anyone for their responses. THANK YOU. I gave up on windows, $#@t sucks. my latest issue is that i triple booted with two linux os's over windows one being Blackpanther os and i cant see the third linux os (mint).
    redirecting to this post i created just recently, i have not figured out how to use the grub customizer:

How to triple boot with Blackpanther OS was another thread I started, but can not paste the link because of my noob status. it can be view in the noob forum .

thanks in advance

I reinstalled Windows 7 64bit first due to common problems as a clean install. Because I like the interface of BP 14.1 I installed it on its own partition after shrinking the partition down. I split about 320GB off the Win 7 partition to create two separate partitions sda3 and sda6(this is what came out afterwards). So after installing BP 14.1 on sda3 and having another 160GB partition I installed Linux mint 17 on sda6.
    -the partitioning can be seen in capture.png-

dev/sda1 = windows 7
    dev/sda3 = Blackpanther os
    dev/sda6 = linux mint 17

Now herein my problem lies. linux mint 17 is not getting recognized. so snooping around BP i found in the system settings a bootloader GUI (snapshot1). it seems that this is where i would add another boot option as far as getting to linux mint so i created one(snapshot2) and as you can see i called out for /dev/sda6 and found this does not work(snapshot3).
    The top entry of snapshot2 shows linux=BP os and in parenthesis (/boot/vmlinuz) so i tried that as an option for linux mint putting the command in the "image" option of snapshot3 replacing /dev/sda6.
    blackpanther does use a GUI based GRUB as seen in image-1 (all images noted should be attached to this thread post). in the grub menu it does show the label that i created as "linux-mint" however it does not boot into linux mint. With the "image" commanded as /dev/sda6 is boots to an error and when /boot/vmlinuz is used the process haults after trying to switch to the mint os.

What I have found out is this - I have a 8GB flash drive with Xubuntu 12.04 on it as a pocket os. I booted off the flashdrive and in grub it only listed xubuntu and windows 7. so i went into xubuntu and updated grub and restarted my computer to boot back into the flashdrive, BAM, all the os's are listed: xubuntu(of course) BlackPanther os , windows7, and Linux mint.
    From the Grub on the flash drive i can load linux mint, but from the grub menu that installed with BP it will not boot in linux mint.

-so how do i fix this, OR what is the command in Konsole to update grub, because you can not just "sudo update-grub", Konsole uses different sytax.

I thank anyone in advance for any help on this. Its not imperative, but i would like to make it work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You've already solved your own problem. You just have to think outside of the box a little bit and hack together your own groove.

I can't tell ya who to sock it. It's your thang. Whatcha gonna do?

Think about it! You already have the answer. It's staring you right in the face, do you see it yet?

No?

Are you ready?

Copy the grub config file from your flash drive to your hard drive.

Should, emphasis on SHOULD work.

Then you'll just have to go back and remove xubntu from the boot list, which should be obvious.

Steven_G aka G-money, your a bad ass dude. your right it was staring me in face. loaded xubuntu and went to grub.cfg and was looking at the boot order:
    menuentry "Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sda6) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sda6)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos6)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 9c00a126-23b8-40ba-bb80-531953a8e918
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=9c00a126-23b8-40ba-bb80-531953a8e918 ro recovery nomodeset
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic

made sure the UUID in the blackpanther os Menu.lst was the same which it was. Next i checked linux /boot/vmlinuz and it was missing the -3.13.0-24-generic. so i pasted that in. next was initrd /boot/initrd.img and the same from above was missing. so i included that after initrd.img.
    then noticed that in BP os that the sda5 was the designation for linux mint. so changed set root='(hd0, 6) to (hd0, 5) and bam done.
    I dont know how to close a thread but this is Solved.
    jsut seems now that mint is relatively slow, ill update and see whats up
    thanks g-money

if the results need to be posted i will post them on request