Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have been using Ubuntu for 6 months and my computer is having a hard time handling it I need to switch to a lightweight debian based distribution but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How hard is Chrunch bang to learn

Hi I have been using Ubuntu for 6 months and my computer is having a hard time handling it I need to switch to a lightweight debian based distribution but am concerned I'll have to learn tons of code and that would not be bad but I only have one laptop and it would be hard to look stuff up on my phone constantly need some help my pc is 6 4 bit with 4gigs of ram

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Crunchbang is not that difficult at all; although remembering to manually add the installed software into the menu can be a pain. It may also be worth considering Xubuntu, Lubuntu and Bodhi which are all lighter weight Ubuntu distributions.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    How much command line to add programs into menu also what does the package manager look like is it anything like opensuse or kubuntu

Crunchbang is Debian so it has apt-get or aptitude for the command line package management and synaptic as a GUI. There is no command-line-fu needed to manage the menu as they provide a GUI for that also.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Does it see all the same hardware as Ubuntu I had trouble with opensuse

Just Joined!
    And thanks for the help

Just Joined!
    I made sure to buy a laptop with all Intel open source hardware if that gives you a idea of what I'm working with

Quote Originally Posted by posthuman View Post
    Does it see all the same hardware as Ubuntu I had trouble with opensuse
    You may need to install the firmware-linux-free, firmware-linux-nonfree and firmware-iwlwifi packages among others depending on your hardware. I have had no hardware issues with any Debian based distro that remained unresolved after installing those.

IIRC Crunchbang runs live so you can at least have a look at it before installing it
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

I wanted a new Debian based Distro to play around with on my #3 so I installed kwheezy(Debian 7 with KDE desktop) and man, what a complicated desktop that was. So, I dropped back to punt and installed CrunchBang and it was just the opposite, so sparse, no task bar or docks, can't do anything on the desktop(at least I've not figured out how to) and even installing from Terminal doesn't install on the little drop down you get when you right click. I need to figure out how to add those programs to the drop down menu. Also, NO Firefox which is a real bummer. Sure, Iceweasl is an off shoot of Firefox but it's still NOT Firefox. All in all I'd say it's better then kwheezy but nothing I've played with lives up to my Point Linux installs. Point Linux truly is awesome IMHO.